Pre-Medical Committee Letter Packet Timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RaspberryPiranha

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

The premedical committee at my university does not begin evaluating cohort applicants until mid-July and the earliest date they begin sending out letter packets is July 22nd. For those that are applying this cycle through your pre-med committees, how does this timeline compare to the way they do it at your school? Most of my secondaries were submitted in early June and the only thing preventing me from being reviewed by the schools is my letters of rec. It's frustrating to be held up by my own school, especially because I made every effort to have my AMCAS fully verified on May 27th. I'm telling myself other universities are probably operating on a similar timeline but I don't know for sure. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

*Worry about things you can control - not things that you cannot*

The timeline you describe above is reasonable for a committee letter. I know of some committees that have letters ready by the end of June and others that have letters ready in September. Honestly, having a letter packet ready by the end of July / beginning of August is just fine, especially if you have already completed other components of your application portfolio. In June/July/early August, medical schools are more concerned with onboarding their new class of medical students than screening applicants and scheduling interviews. I get why it feels like your being held back by your school's committee letter, but keep in mind that it is not holding you back from an interview invite nor an acceptance at this point, just from being marked complete. Remember, schools do not process applications in the order they are received. Once your application is marked complete, your are simply a line in a database that will be sorted and prioritized based on the schools preferences: GPA/MCAT, residency, undergraduate program, geographic location, and other factors.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 users
This is precisely the timeline at many schools and thus my general rule that you are "on time" if your application, including letter packet or committee letter, is complete by Labor Day (September 7th).

Reactions: 1 user