Pre Medical School Experiences/ Residency Placement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thomyorke

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is kind of a random (and premature) question but I was just wondering if any of you know how much of a factor experiences gained prior to entering medical school can influence getting into a residency of choice.

I have respectable stats (3.4, 30+ MCAT) and hope to start medical school in 2011. Since graduating, I performed about a year of wet bench cancer research followed by a year and a half of translational research as a clinical research coordinator in neuro-oncology. For very strong personal reasons I've always been interested in medical oncology. Obviously the research is in line with my goals but HOW MUCH will it actually help?

Also, I've applied to quite a few SMP-type programs (just to really solidify my stats/ overcome that subpar GPA) but am strongly considering Tulane's MS in pharmacology even if admitted to some of the "better known" programs. I know this isn't the most prestigious of the SMP's but I really feel as though it is the most pertinent to my ultimate medical goals, not to mention how interesting the subject matter is. I feel that someone with an interest in oncology will certainly benefit more in the long run by having an advanced background in pharmacology than say, someone who is interested in radiology or pathology.

Is my line of thinking here off or am I doing the right thing? Again, I know that a lot can change (especially given the different exposures during clinical years, etc.) but I was just hoping to get some input here from my fellow SDNers. Not to sound overconfident, but I could very well have a decision to make between Tulane Pharm and some more prestigious options so any thoughts/ opinions are welcomed and appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

All experiences count for residency, as long as they're in the field of the residency. However, MORE important factors are:

-Step scores
-Personal knowledge of the residency (ie rotating there)
-Letters of rec / evaluation from rotation / dean

I have respectable stats (3.4, 30+ MCAT) and hope to start medical school in 2011. Since graduating, I performed about a year of wet bench cancer research followed by a year and a half of translational research as a clinical research coordinator in neuro-oncology. For very strong personal reasons I've always been interested in medical oncology. Obviously the research is in line with my goals but HOW MUCH will it actually help?
Research done as a premed can be listed and does help. Research done as a premed that is pertinent to the residency you are applying for really helps, but helps even more if you have another research experience in the med school years.

As to the question on taking an "SMP-like" program. I agree that an oncologist would benefit from a very solid grounding in pharmacology, but whether it's worth the expense should depend on the success ration of those completing the program and evntually matriculating into MD or DO med schools, IMO.