Pre-medical school job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IcemanDDS

Dr of Dental Shadowing
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm currently studying for MCAT, and also unemployed. I finished a master's degree in biology a few months ago, and cannot find a job. Any suggestions as to what type of work would look good on a med school app? These are hard times and I'm having a tough time finding anything. I would think a lab job would look good but I actually have no work experience in a lab, which makes it impossible to get a lab job. Any ideas would be great, or even stories of what you did during this time. Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Indeed, how about medical transcription? I don't see it as a very popular pre-med job so i'm wondering if nobody thinks of doing it or if its just not much better than volunteering in terms of how med schools view experience... anyone know?

Hey,

So you have a masters degree in biology but no experience working in a lab?

I worked doing tissue recovery for an organ procurement organization, it was great experience, good money, and positions typically require no experience or even special skills. (Other than being ok with removing body parts)

Just a thought.

I did look into medical transcription, but it involves a year long course and you must be certified before you can begin looking for work. So, I decided that was a little too much commitment for such a short term thing.

Where would I go about finding one of these organ procurement organizations? Through a hospital?

Thanks for the input guys