Pre-Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biodude

The Biology DUDE
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there everyone! I'm a new member of this community, and I plan on trying to get into medical school. As I am simply a high school student at the moment about to graduate in 7 days and starting college in late August, I was wondering where you guys and gals are going/have gone to for your pre-medical education? It doesn't have to be specific; more like, I'd like to know how many people here start out in some prestigious ivy-league school, some in community college, and some like me, simply at a state university that has a good pre-med to medical schools transfer rate (85 %)

I am going to start in California State University, Fullerton, by the way, majoring in Biology(though I think that I may change my major seeing as how it seems typical for a pre-med). Anybody going there now or have gone there for pre-med education? :)

Thanks for reading this (I'm sorry but I make a lot of long posts) and I hope to speak more with you people. I also hope to get into the MD (or DO) class of 2010! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I was born while my parents were students at Cal State Fullerton :clap: not that that piece of info helps you any....

I got a BS in Biology Education from a private christian college and took the few med school prereqs I lacked (only organic) at the local community college. In most cases, it doesn't really matter where you got your degree from, rather that you kept good grades (3.5 or higher--overall and in the sciences). The commonality of biology degrees isn't a negative...but, major in what you are interested in (even if its not a science, you can take the prereqs for med school as electives or as a minor).

Good luck! :D

Hye, congrats on shooting for med school. I'm excited to goto AZCOM in Phoenix this fall. I started at a JC for a couple years, then took a couple years off for some volunteer work experience. Then I finished my undergrad at BYU, majoring in Exercise Science and minoring in Music. I looked into lots of different majors, like Biology, but they didn't really appeal to me. My advice: go into a major/field that really appeals to you and that you really like - not a major that's just pre-med. Well, best of luck to you. Take care!

As soon as you can, before registering for any courses, make an appointment to speak, face to face, with Dr. David Drath, Fullerton's premedical advisor. Health Professions LH 203. 714/278-3980. It will likely be a grave mistake to register in courses based on your own decisions or by listening to other students. No two students are alike in what they are ready for. College is not high school anymore. Premed doesn't easily provide much slack for mistakes.
Diving off the high board into the deep end of the pool, without knowing how deep it is, may lead to serious injury or even death to your ambitions.