Pre-meds and Partying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Check all that apply to you

• Drink Alcohol

Votes: 204 80.3%
  • Drink to Get Drunk

Votes: 138 54.3%
  • Sober

Votes: 59 23.2%
  • Smoke Cigarettes

Votes: 41 16.1%
  • Other Tobacco Products

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • Do not use Tobacco

Votes: 129 50.8%
  • Smoke (or ingest) Marijuana

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Do not smoke Marijuana

Votes: 113 44.5%
  • Use Other Elicit Drugs

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Avoid Drugs

Votes: 141 55.5%
  • Have Protected Sex

Votes: 134 52.8%
  • Have Unprotected Sex

Votes: 72 28.3%
  • Abstain

Votes: 73 28.7%

• Total voters

Dr.TobiasFünke

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As pre-meds we have to make many sacrifices to stay on track, but how far do we take that? How many of us avoid living like a Rock-star when the opportunity presents itself?

Members don't see this ad.

Dr.TobiasFünke said:
As pre-meds we have to make many sacrifices to stay on track, but how far do we take that? How many of us avoid living like a Rock-star when the opportunity presents itself?

I thought you were already accepted last year?

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't drink (but still went to parties) from Christmas to the April MCAT. Before then, I drank two-three times a week (and after then). It wasn't essentially necessary for me not to drink in order to do well on the MCAT, but it was helpful to not be hungover and to actually feel tired when I'm awake at 2:30 in the morning. In hindsight, I could have had a couple. Maybe I'm just making up for lost time now. :)

floridakppr said:
I didn't drink (but still went to parties) from Christmas to the April MCAT. Before then, I drank two-three times a week (and after then). It wasn't essentially necessary for me not to drink in order to do well on the MCAT, but it was helpful to not be hungover and to actually feel tired when I'm awake at 2:30 in the morning. In hindsight, I could have had a couple. Maybe I'm just making up for lost time now. :)

did the same thing for the MCAT... i made up for it senior year

I imbibed more in volume and frequency in the month leading up to the MCAT than I have at any other point in my life. I also studied for the MCAT more in that month than I have at any other point in my life. Studying for the MCAT leads to temporary alcoholism.

:laugh: :laugh: point noted... i had a co2 pressurized cold plate for a little bit. thank god the ice melts after a few days.

Haemulon said:
Whatever you do, don't get a kegerator. Bad knews. Just way too easy, and too tasty!

Haemulon said:
Whatever you do, don't get a kegerator. Bad knews. Just way too easy, and too tasty!

Is it just me or does anyone else dislike the taste of beer? I mean, it's not bad, it just doesn't taste that good....

ChymeChancellor said:
Is it just me or does anyone else dislike the taste of beer? I mean, it's not bad, it just doesn't taste that good....

you havent had good beer then

dogfish.jpg

ChymeChancellor said:

That's true of crappy beer, but then you could get something delicious such as Czechvar or Paulaner Salvatore.

Members don't see this ad :)
ChymeChancellor said:
i'm right there with you.

Looque said:
That's true of crappy beer, but then you could get something delicious such as Czechvar or Paulaner Salvatore.

All I've had is Coors Lite.... which I guess is considered cheap... but I'm too cheap to buy my own!

ChymeChancellor said:

I have met some people with that sentiment. No men of course, but a few people.

Dr.TobiasFünke said:
yayaya... what are you an ADCOM?
no i'm a pre-med...what did you honestly expect? :laugh:

ChymeChancellor said:

Check out Amstel Light. :thumbup:

ChymeChancellor said:
All I've had is Coors Lite.... which I guess is considered cheap... but I'm too cheap to buy my own!

Cheap yes, but brewed from the pure waters of the rockies and shipped cold to ensure freshness :thumbup:

Haemulon said:
Cheap yes, but brewed from the pure waters of the rockies and shipped cold to ensure freshness :thumbup:

It's the world's "coldest tasting beer," afterall. Whatever that means.

Dogfish is a decent ale Tobias. Good sugestion. I actually collect microbrews from around the country. But now that I have sampled hundreds and hundreds of brands, I have started coming back to the traditionals.

Looque said:
It's the world's "coldest tasting beer," afterall. Whatever that means.

its gross... America used to have world class beer before WWI with its stigmas against people of German decent (most brewery owbers), prohibition, and WWII grain rationing

Dallenoff said:
Ha. Coors/Miller/Bud/Busch Light all taste the same to me.

I'd agree that Coors, Miller and Bud all taste the same, but Busch seems a little crappier.

Dr.TobiasFünke said:
its gross... America used to have world class beer before WWI with its stigmas against people of German decent (most brewery owbers), prohibition, and WWII grain rationing

I think that America would have fewer beer bellies if beers here were stronger in alcohol content, as they are in Europe. I think it should be a prioritized public health issue.

However, American lagers all share the commonality of having significant portions of rice added as a base for malt, which gives a more watered down flavor. When taken along with the lagering process, it produces a much less potent taste then traditional Ales. It is also why you can't enjoy the taste when a domestic lager starts to get warm (the cold hides many of the underlying off-flavors).

Dallenoff said:
Ha. Coors/Miller/Bud/Busch Light all taste the same to me.

you mean coors/miller/bud/busch/keystone/water? Good beer is amazing. Sam Adams, the molsons, bass, guiness, and lots of microbrews are my favorites.

Looque said:
I think that America would have fewer beer bellies if beers here were stronger in alcohol content, as they are in Europe. I think it should be a prioritized public health issue.

The new microbrews prduce beer as high as 20% ABV. I choose american microbrews that harbor around 7-9%ABV. Check out Hop Devil by Vicrtory Brewery or Dogfish Head IPA 60, 90, or 120 (if you dare)

Dr.TobiasFünke said:

Very true, American beer changed in part to make beer more pallatable to women during the war (milder taste) along with the grain rationing. Then it just stuck.

Dr.TobiasFünke said:
The new microbrews prduce beer as high as 20% ABV. I choose american microbrews that harbor around 7-9%ABV. Check out Hop Devil by Vicrtory Brewery or Dogfish Head IPA 60, 90, or 120 (if you dare)

The only beer I have seen up to 20% abv is Sam Adams Tripple Bock. Which I tasted at the Great American Beer Festival. It is very hard to find and is only brewed during certain months.

A love IPA's with their high hops content and alcohol around the 7% range. Very bitter but extremely tastey. I also recommend Tuppers Hop Pocket, once the most bitter beer in America (similar to Hop Devil from what I recall).

Dr.TobiasFünke said:

Well sure, the microbrews will crank out some potent products, which is great. However, most people drink the weak stuff and thus have to drink 12+ before they're good and wasted. Bump up that alcohol to decrease the intake volume and drop total calories.

I haven't had Hop Devil or Victory Brewery--where are they based? Dogfish I like, but I don't think I've seen the 120 anywhere.

Haemulon said:
What about Heiffaweissens, Belgian Tripple's, Trappist Ales, DoubleBock's, etc...

Paulaner Salvatore Doublebock :love:

It's summer so I have been drinking a lot of Hoegaarden, Yum :D :D

Magic Hat has some good beers but I think most of them are a bit overpriced

Haemulon said:
What about Heiffaweissens, Belgian Tripple's, Trappist Ales, DoubleBock's, etc...

I dont like Heiffaweissens, I do enjoy Belgian Tripple's (like St. Bernedus APT 12, Victory makes one too Golden monkey) and DoubleBocks (a bit heavy for me, try Ayinger Celebrador Double). I hate Pilsners.

Looque said:
Well sure, the microbrews will crank out some potent products, which is great. However, most people drink the weak stuff and thus have to drink 12+ before they're good and wasted. Bump up that alcohol to decrease the intake volume and drop total calories.

I haven't had Hop Devil or Victory Brewery--where are they based? Dogfish I like, but I don't think I've seen the 120 anywhere.

Downingtown PA near my GF :love: (Victory), The 120 is hard to find it is brewed 3 times each year and it is $8 a bottle (ABV ranges per brew 18-21%). i have a bottle of it waiting for me, deciding when to drink it. I also just had their Rason D'Extra (not D'Entre) also 20 ABV. Knocked me on my @ss

Dr.TobiasFünke said:
I dont like Heiffaweissens, I do enjoy Belgian Tripple's (like St. Bernedus APT 12, Victory makes one too Golden monkey) and DoubleBocks (a bit heavy for me, try Ayinger Celebrador Double). I hate Pilsners.

Czech Pilsners are good

Dallenoff said:
Where do you buy all this stuff, Columbia?

Yeah, I've found some liquor stores that carry it here. However, I became acquainted with it back in Oxford, Ohio, where a German bar has it on tap. There are few things better than a stein of Salvatore weighing down your hand.