1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Pre-meds have the MSAR...do pre-residents have anything?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by CoolSpot7Up, Jun 18, 2008.

1. CoolSpot7Up

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Had I known about the MSAR and SDN resources as a freshman, I probably would have had a better idea of what I could do during my undergraduate career to help in medical school admissions.

Once you're in medical school, the next hurdle is getting into a good residency. Is there a guide med students use when picking out residency options with selection criteria different programs use?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    No. The only guide you get is picking a good mentor or two in the field you are interested in. Which residency programs are good versus malignant is a very word of mouth kind of thing, and tends to change frequently with change of personnel. Someone actually in the field you are choosing with a decent network of colleagues tends to be best situated to advise you as to what programs you want and don't want. So picking a good person to advise you through this is critical.

4. LucidSplash

LucidSplash Wire Jockey Trainee
    Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I agree with L2D. The only thing that is remotely close is AMA's FREIDA Residency/Fellowship Training Program Search. This will tell you where the programs are in a given specialty and some basic info about each program but will not tell you which are the best programs or which are malignant vs. non-malignant, etc. The information is self-reported by residency/fellowship programs and should be viewed with that in mind, but its a nice place to start if you're just looking for something where the programs in a given specialty are in a given area, how many years of training (ie some EM residencies are 3, some are 4), benefits packages, etc etc.

5. 1956Goldtop

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Can you elaborate what you been by malignant vs. non-malignant? Malignant residency???!?? :eek: This does not sound like a good thing at all! :laugh:

6. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Sure. It's more an issue of department culture than anything else. It's where all the residents are beaten upon and hate life. It generally means a program where nobody is particularly happy, where attrition is high, and where attendings don't regard or treat their underlings well. It tends to come from the top down, so if the program director and/or chairman are mean SOBs, they will instill a kind of culture where each level of the hierarchy down gets it worse than the prior tier. And you can only find this out via word of mouth (esp through mentors).