Pre-meds in O.chem Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keyy200tx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So it seems like all the pre-meds in my O.chem class, have access to O.Chem test bank questions for our recent test. Their grades jumped from low C's to top A's. Anyway the teacher heard of it and cancelled the test, so now i have to study for this test again. I earned my grade of 91 from reading my book. So does this happen in your schools too. They might do the same in Med school or Pharm School anyone they end up going...

Members don't see this ad.

Literally every pre-med in your class had access to the test bank? C'mon..

In all seriousness, I have seen old tests get handed down in many different classes. It's not so much about the major of the student as it is who they know.

Re-reading your post, it doesn't sound like you know they had access to old tests. Is it just a supposition on your part?

A lot of people tend to have old tests from friends and such at my school and so they get a feel for the test that way and on occasion the questions are almost the same. Never heard of an ochem test bank though since all the profs at my school write their own crazy problems.

Members don't see this ad :)
Totally possible they had old tests. I feel it's the prof's fault if he didn't change up his questions enough that people could get A's by memorizing previous test questions...

I had a calculus test like this. Our TA held a review session using questions from the previous quarter's midterm. People learned how to do the problems honestly, thinking at least some problems on our test would be similar. Turns out, the guy that wrote the test only changed the numbers and order of the questions...I will never forget my 94 on a calc exam. The only thing that let me pass that class...;)

I earned my grade of 91 from reading my book.
In my opinion, you lucked out. If you did that well with the time you had to study. Imagine what you can get with more time to study for a similar test.;)

I agree. That's pretty unfair for people who legitimately studied. You'll be happy to know that in professional school, they make great efforts to change questions to ensure that people who have access to past exams (e.g. members of fraternities) aren't at an insane advantage. :thumbup:

I agree. That's pretty unfair for people who legitimately studied. You'll be happy to know that in professional school, they make great efforts to change questions to ensure that people who have access to past exams (e.g. members of fraternities) aren't at an insane advantage. :thumbup:

Pshh at my school everyone always has access to old exams, many professors make them available to us directly. My point is no one has an unfair advantage because everyone has them. The questions are different enough that the old exams will not be enough by themselves (most of the time).

I've definitely seen a few situations where some old questions were held over and just the numbers changed.

One of my math professors gave only two exams during the whole semester. I found out (later) that my final was the EXACT same as the one the year before AND the year AFTER I took the course. Some profs are just lazy.

The posters above were right to point out: you got a 91 without a crutch.

That's awesome.

Think of it this way: who will be better prepared for their professional program?

Pshh at my school everyone always has access to old exams, many professors make them available to us directly. My point is no one has an unfair advantage because everyone has them. The questions are different enough that the old exams will not be enough by themselves (most of the time).

That is true. Most professors provide last year's exam, but there are students who have years and years worth (from 2004-2010 for example).

Who cares about them. You earned your A. The type of students that need answers to succeed are only going to end up failing where it counts: in professional school or on the MCAT/PCAT. Low MCAT score = mid to lower tier school. People have an unfair advantage all the time. It happens. Is it right? No. But, you have shown that you do what needs to be done. That will undoubtedly carry on into your other classes and pharm school. You should feel good about that. Those other students are a bunch of pansies and life will catch up to them eventually. That, IMO, is fair ;)

Good job on the A. Ochem can be a tough class.

So i just checked on Blackboard and got my second test results back..... This test was really hard, but i managed to pull a 89. Anyway he has a list with last 4 digits of students ID's to see him on Monday and say the truth or else he will report them.... First of all i think TA's need to stop selling them because according to one of my Pre-Med friend's somepeople got it from TA who is trying to make extra cash. ....... I feel sorry for them now....