premedicine555

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2008
Status
Hello! I was just wondering which school for undergraduate pre-med studies--UCLA or UC Berkeley were harder. I know you're thinking "Berkeley... duh" but I don't want the answer based on a whole... Just in pre-med area.

I barley go on here, so if this question sounds stupid, you can ignore this.. I just need advice since I have to make up my mind May 1st! :D

p.s.: i know pre-med is hard in every school, but I'm sure the cut-throat/competitiveness is slighly different. :cool:
oh yeah and i'll be happy at both schools, so its not an issue. :D

funkydrmonkey

They Call Me Dr. Funkmonk
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 10, 2007
In the Frozen Tundra
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Go to UCLA. It is soooooooooooooooooooooo much better than Berkeley. Come to LA. You will love it.

west nile

10+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
both are going to be difficult
go to the school that has the major you want to study.

OP
P

premedicine555

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2008
Status
i understand that both are difficult, but there isn't even one school that is slightly more.. I dont know what's the word... cut-throat?

dArroway

Gettin' my hood on
10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2008
look at the life on this planet sir, no sign of it
Status
Pre-Medical
i understand that both are difficult, but there isn't even one school that is slightly more.. I dont know what's the word... cut-throat?
I think they would be at just about the EXACT same level of being cut-throat. Seriously, the student bodies will really not be that different.

flaahless

10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I say got to Cal. Berkeley>>>>Westwood. I'm from LA, I love it here, but I would choose Cal because I feel it offers a better overall education than UCLA. Westwood is not really diverse and UCLA is great and all, but Cal is a better educational environment IMO. I didn't do premed at either school, but I here that Cal is more cutthroat than UCLA. Also, Westwood is a pretty chill place, so if you want a laid back life, UCLA may be the school for you.

west nile

10+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
^^exactly, my buddy goes to berkeley and I go to ucla, we say the same thing, HELLA COMPETITION. its just to be expected at these schools.

my ^^'s are for darroways post

Medicalhopeful

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
They are both going to be competitive and cut-throat, maybe if your were deciding between UCI and UCLA, UCI would be "easier". Since they are both at the same level, I would ask a different question, which school have more opportunities for research, hospital volunteering, and most importantly do you see yourself there.

searun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Your question is really annoying. Hopefully, you understand this. If you cannot understand this, then you are really annoying.

But I am going to answer your question, I should ignore your question but I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt.

The football coach for UCLA is Rick Newweasel. Yes, Rick Newweasel. Do you want to attend a school where a Newweasel is the coach? Of course not, go to Berkeley. For for love of God, go to Cal.

OP
P

premedicine555

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2008
Status
ok...

thanks everyone. yep still deciding. :confused: also, is it true that berkeley's classes are designed to weed more students out? just wondering.

Medicalhopeful

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
If you want to choose the school that will be easier, than you will fail in medical school. Being a doctor is hard, you have to realize that. All schools will try to "weed" students out, no matter where you go. Try taking a tour and actually speaking to some professors, ask questions, get to know the programs, the clubs, and the research availability being offered.

ps. Congratulation's on being admitted to both UCLA and UCB.

OP
P

premedicine555

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2008
Status
Yes.. I understand that being a doctor takes hardwork... and that there is compeition everywhere for premed. i guess i just wanted first hand experiences of both sides.

Character

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2008
Status
Other Health Professions Student

GoldShadow

10+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Yes.. I understand that being a doctor takes hardwork... and that there is compeition everywhere for premed. i guess i just wanted first hand experiences of both sides.
You're going to get the same answer: both are competitive. Don't choose a school based on something like this.

Character

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2008
Status
just because a school is harder to get into, doesnt mean its more compettitive.

premedrod

youtube ruined my apps
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Dude Its All About Uc Davis...school Of Freaks And Geeks

Character

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2008
Status
if you go to ucla, youll always be overshadowed by usc (which is soo freaking popular right now...they have fans everywhere. even when i was at a sports store in nebraska, all they had was cornhuskers gear and usc.lol) if you go to berkeley, youll be overshadowed by stanford... pick your poison...jk btw.

littlealex

little tiny alex
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Dude Its All About Uc Davis...school Of Freaks And Geeks
Uh.. you can't really compare UCLA/UCB with Davis...

to OP: in terms of difficulty I'd think LA/Berkeley are pretty similar. They both recruit some of the smarter students from California. With so much being equal and the locations of the school being so different, just pick where you'd be happy/closer to family.

Character

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2008
Status
Uh.. you can't really compare UCLA/UCB with Davis...
in berkeley admissions committees eyes, ucdavis=ucla.....but id still choose ucla pver davis because pac-10>>>>>>>>big west or watever it is.

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
UCLA >>> Berkeley for just about everything (unless you're a hippie :laugh:). Pre-med at both will be difficult though ... very difficult. I may or may not attend one of the schools listed and have seen some pre-med buddies science work at cal states and other UCs and its not even comparable.

neurofreak

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I say got to Cal. Berkeley>>>>Westwood. I'm from LA, I love it here, but I would choose Cal because I feel it offers a better overall education than UCLA. Westwood is not really diverse and UCLA is great and all, but Cal is a better educational environment IMO. I didn't do premed at either school, but I here that Cal is more cutthroat than UCLA. Also, Westwood is a pretty chill place, so if you want a laid back life, UCLA may be the school for you.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

also, in regards to going to a school that has a great college town, berkeley >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> westwood

fizzle

10+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I'm finishing up my last year at Berkeley, and I've got to say...I love walking around campus because of the diversity of architecture and all the trees and "nature-oriented" locations despite being located in a city! I don't think I could stand a monotony of buildings after this. There's a reason for tourists coming to the Berkeley campus to sightsee, and it's not just for the academic reputation.

Character

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2008
Status
I'm finishing up my last year at Berkeley, and I've got to say...I love walking around campus because of the diversity of architecture and all the trees and "nature-oriented" locations despite being located in a city! I don't think I could stand a monotony of buildings after this. There's a reason for tourists coming to the Berkeley campus to sightsee, and it's not just for the academic reputation.
ive spent time at berkeley.. its really nice there. i really love the grimey feel of the campus, as opposed to the clean/neat feel of stanford.

student12x

10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2007
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
You've also got to consider the term system. UCLA operates on the quarter system which means if you screw up once, you can rebound quickly compared to a semester school like Cal.