1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Pre-Meds who have had a bad year of college (academically) before, get in here!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by BoxinMoxin, Jul 21, 2011.

1. BoxinMoxin

Removed

Pre-Medical
    If you did bad your freshman year, I would particularly love to hear your views and hopefully you can answer my questions right here. Here they are:

1. What year of college did you do bad in? (freshman, sophomore etc.)
    2. OPTIONAL (it is a little personal): What was your GPA that year?
    3. Why did you do bad that year? Any reason?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Lil Mick

5+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    I started taking college courses very young (started, had started my career, and was pulled back to high school when my family moved), so I'm not sure what I was academically at this point, but I did very poorly the year after I was allowed to leave high school at 18.

My gpa was pretty low that year (very uneven performance, though--did well in the upper level classes and horribly in freshman classes). I'd been using a lot of drugs and alcohol when I had to return to high school to survive my experiences there, and I found that couldn't stop when I got back to college. I spent most of the school year trying to get sober and then relapsing after a couple of weeks. True nightmare.

I got sober, returned to school, and worked hard to make up for those grades (basically 4.0 for 4 subsequent years). It was a struggle to compensate for the damage done that year, though...

Feel free to PM me if you've found yourself in that situation and want to talk more :)

4. BoxinMoxin

Removed

Pre-Medical
    well I got done with my first year of college

no problems with alcohol, none with smoking, but I just finished with a 2.8 GPA, C's in chem 1, chem 2, and calculus, OUCH!

5. Web MD

Web MD Doctor of the Internets
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You've got 6 more semesters bro, 4 before applying, stop making threads and go study

6. jhay

jhay Hopeful.
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This.

Start gunning.

and get your grades up. do well on the MCAT.

[​IMG]

7. medicalmuscle

Removed

Pre-Medical
    1. freshman, sophomore, junior, senior
    2. 2.0, lower, lower, lowest
    3. addiction

8. MaenadsDance

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I had a 3.9 my first two years of college, then got an A-, B-, a B+, and a D :eek: (in French) first semester of my Junior year. I ended up withdrawing from all of my classes second semester, dropping out of school for two years. I enrolled in a local state school while living at home in a bunch of pre-reqs, ended up withdrawing from all of them.

I got back to my (private, liberal arts) college this year, got a 4.0 this semester (including in French - suck it!).

I had two health problems spiral out of control at the same time. One has resolved itself, the other is being managed with meds and doctor's supervision, and probably will be for the rest of my life.

9. BoxinMoxin

Removed

Pre-Medical
    see here is why I worry about my future a lot

I came into college thinking I was going to be an A student and get good grades and such and transfer from this place to somewhere else, like maybe a good university. I was aiming for a 3.9 or 4.0 type GPA, I really was. Thing is I lacked discipline, often saw myself posting on online forums, procrastinated, turned in work on time but did not prepare as well as I wanted to for tests. I finished my first year with a 2.8.

What hurts is, I actually tried, I didn't try the hardest but I did try nonetheless. There were some classes I had B's in which I could have made A's in. In two classes I had like 89 averages at the end when I could have had 90s and such. Thing is I did not know what I was getting myself into.

Took 16 credit hours my first semester and 14 my second semester. Just frustrating, I expected to blow these courses out of the water but they blew me out of the water instead.

I think I pretty ruined my dream of going to a great university and seeing how it is like there. I always wanted to see how it was like going to an Ivy but instead of setting my eye on the goal I was just envisioning the celebration. Stupidity, stupidity, stupidity on my behalf.

Guess now I just need to man up. I don't even think I will be able to transfer to my state flagship university now.

10. Hah

Hah
    7+ Year Member

Freshman Year

3.1 gpa

Weed

11. gettheleadout

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Something in particular comes to mind...

12. Web MD

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    My state university required a 20+ on the ACT and if you sent them SAT scores they sent them back with a "WTF is this" note

13. Doctor246853

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    1. Freshman, specifically first 20 credits.
    2. 1.9
    3. Divorce, no money, worked two jobs and child custudy. (That b%$tH!:mad:....sorry relapse)

14. Deathstar

Marriage before/during undergraduate? :eek:

15. Doctor246853

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Im 27

16. brandxnew

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    1. Freshman
    2. 3.91
    3. Too much secs

17. Deathstar

Oh :p

A part of me wanted to believe you married when you turned 18.

18. theWUbear

theWUbear EM PGY1
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    1. Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior
    2. 2.6
    3. EC's, clubbing, binging in general

Glad i could help!

19. arfc6

5+ Year Member

I messed around and got a 2.8 my first semester because I didn't want to be in school. I withdrew second semester and did a bunch of AmeriCorps programs. Realized that college isn't that stupid. Went back, worked hardish for a 3.7, other stuff (cant remeber, it was college), medical school (hopefully)? It's not for everyone but taking time off to volunteer was one of the best decisions I ever made, something to think about.

20. Doctor246853

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    A part of me wants to believe I never married. (srs)

21. Sabio23

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This is my first post on SDN. I originally came to this site because I wanted consolation that my bad freshman year wouldn't get in the way of my dream of becoming a doctor. I basically just did bad freshman year because I couldn't adjust well to college. I thought it would be a breeze (graduated from a top 20 IB program with highest honors with a 5.0 GPA/2200 SAT). How wrong I was ugh. My study habits haven't translated well and I'm still trying to change them. Finished my gen chem/bio/orgo sequence so far and will be a sophomore this fall so hopefully with a newfound attitude and discipline I can raise my dismal 3.3 GPA. Still have time I suppose! :)

22. Web MD

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    someone help me out here:

Freshman year: bio/chem = ~8 bad credits x 2 semesters = ~16 bad credits
    sophomore/junior year = ~8 good credits x 4 semesters = ~32 good credits

How do I avg these ^ #s two figur out if I can be a doc? sumone said l8ter years weigh more lol?

23. doing well in upper level bcpm courses and having a strong upward trend are good.

24. V5RED

V5RED MS-1
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    1)First semester freshman year in 2004.
    2)0.0
    3)I did not care about classes. I began drinking almost as soon as the semester started, and I was an alcoholic within a couple months. I even committed and was convicted of DUI.

My mother told me I was wasting time and forced me to drop out.

I returned to school in 2009, and my GPA since my return has been ~4.0. The difference in GPA is largely thanks to my mother. Her forcing me to leave gave me the time to grow my stupid ass up and learn what I want from life.

I actually recommend that to anyone who is screwing the pooch in school and has no real goal. Leave and come back when you won't be wasting your money and time.

edit: My mother now helps me quite a bit since she is thrilled with me doing so well, and she can easily afford to help me with pesky things like rent and food to keep me alive. I would support myself more, but I have yet to find a job that will accept my packed schedule.

25. generator

generator firing whenever you quit
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    1. sophomore year
    2. 3.45
    3. took on too much at once - well that and i spent too much time caring about stupid ****. remember what's important to you and the big picture (med school:laugh:)

26. Eric01

3.45 is your worst semester?

Mine was my sophomore year, I just transferred to UT Austin from UT San Antonio. The difference in class rigor was really no comparison, I went from like 3.8+ my freshman year at UT San Antonio to 3.28 at UT Austin.

27. ISUBird100

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    1. Sophomore year, Fall semester
    2. 3.0 (straight B's)
    3. Was prescribed Accutane, so I had to go home every month (during the week) to get blood tests and meet with my derm. Also, Accutane is one very powerful drug with some bad side effects...

28. 1TB4RKSB4CK

1TB4RKSB4CK wussup doge
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Freshmen year 1st semester fall
    2 B's, a C, and a D (retook and got an A)
    I was too much of a party/clubbing person(Ultra/EDC/Cochella)
    I've almost completely stopped all of that. No more events like those and I probably go partying (house ghetty more like) once a week. Also, arguments with parents, and undecided about either pharmacy or medicine. I wasn't the best student in high school so my habits followed me to that first semester. 2nd semester however, I managed a 3.55 and it's been an upward trend since. Provided that I get A's in my last 7 credits of the summer (Trig and A&P II) (looking like it too), I will most likely have- Overall GPA: 3.43 (still not all that great) BCPM GPA: 3.52 and SciGPA(no Math):3.67.
    The only class I got bad grades in was Math classes. C in College Alg and D (retook to A) in int alg.
    I've been improving my math skills ever since I took the gen chem sequences though.

29. NightGod

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    1) Freshman year 1991
    2) First semester = 0.0, Second semester = W in all classes, basically dropped out so they wouldn't kick me out
    3) Dat ass (the woman who is now my ex wife, the bedroom was way more fun than the classroom)

Returned last year, pulled a 4.0 with 11 and 14 CR as well as working full time and volunteering and reminding my two teenage kids they still have a father as well as dating and going out with friends from time to time.

30. BoxinMoxin

Removed

Pre-Medical
    well I have had 2 bad semesters in a row, had a good talk about it with my parents last night too..........