Pre-meds: Who is YOUR hero?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juiceman311

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who is your biggest hero in life, outside of relatives? Like had a huge impact on you and stuff, and why?

Mine is probably Alton from Real World Las Vegas, cause he knows what's going on and how to deal with people. He also overcame so much during the show it's hard not to pick him.

Members don't see this ad.

juiceman311 said:
Who is your biggest hero in life, outside of relatives? Like had a huge impact on you and stuff, and why?

Mine is probably Alton from Real World Las Vegas, cause he knows what's going on and how to deal with people. He also overcame so much during the show it's hard not to pick him.

I smell another Chuck Norris thread coming on. :laugh:

Definitely Sammi

Members don't see this ad :)
Marcus Welby, MD

For me, it's a toss up between Dr. Rey and Dr. Matlock.

I am my own hero.

Dr. Perry Cox is my idol. Or house. Or AC Slater from "saved by the bell" that plays a doctor on "the bold and the beautiful." My idols.

Seriously now, I don't really have a "hero." That's a strong word. But I admire many, including a local internist with whom I spent a lot of time, working and showing. He's the reason internal medicine interests me.

I also admire Nick Cave because he's multitalented, cool, and can get away with saying crazy ****, like: "My muse is not a horse and I am in no horse race and if indeed she was, still I would not harness her to this tumbrel - this bloody cart of severed heads and glittering prizes" (in a statement to MTV, Oct '96, declining an award nomination). I love him so. :D

I don't have "heroes", but here's someone who has inspired me:

Ignaz Philipp Semmelweis.

I wonder if anyone knows who that is without Google.

willow18 said:
I don't have "heroes", but here's someone who has inspired me:

Ignaz Philipp Semmelweis.

I wonder if anyone knows who that is without Google.

Oooh I do! He was all about the handwashing. Good guy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm, without relatives... how about the guy who first had an onion and decided that after crying he liked it so much he would grow more and start to cultivate it? Seriously, I'm always amazed that someone decided to do that.
Or Frank Gehry. That guy's just a pimp.
Or Judah Folkman? This guy is what science is all about.

glenn gould

browniegirl: i actually saw your grandmother's paper on the chromosomes of schistosomes when i was researching schistosomiasis for my parasitology class!

anon-y-mouse said:
glenn gould

browniegirl: i actually saw your grandmother's paper on the chromosomes of schistosomes when i was researching schistosomiasis for my parasitology class!

That's insane!

She was pretty much a badass . . . she died when I was 4, and I didn't really know too much about her actual research focus until I was in college, as a microbiology major! So apparently she is the one who passed down the "I love biology" gene!

FrkyBgStok said:
Dr. Perry Cox is my idol. Or house. Or AC Slater from "saved by the bell" that plays a doctor on "the bold and the beautiful." My idols.

Id have to say that the char of Perry Cox is a hero of mine also.

browniegirl86 said:
That's insane!

She was pretty much a badass . . . she died when I was 4, and I didn't really know too much about her actual research focus until I was in college, as a microbiology major! So apparently she is the one who passed down the "I love biology" gene!

I also consider family my heros. It's a tie between my mom and dad.

When I was little, my dad was diagnosed with late-stage medullary thyroid cancer and not expected to live long. He fully supported my mom by saving money for her to go back to school (she had an A.A. in nursing and he made really good $$). After she finished her B.S. she wanted to go to med school, so my dad put her through. She basically gave up all those years she could have easily been a stay-at-home mom to initially work for a better life for what she thought would be herself, me and my brother after my dad died. But he ended up surviving the cancer, so now she has a job she loves AND her husband who fully supported her through it.

My two heros.

megboo said:

When I was little, my dad was diagnosed with late-stage medullary thyroid cancer and not expected to live long. He fully supported my mom by saving money for her to go back to school (she had an A.A. in nursing and he made really good $$). After she finished her B.S. she wanted to go to med school, so my dad put her through. She basically gave up all those years she could have easily been a stay-at-home mom to initially work for a better life for what she thought would be herself, me and my brother after my dad died. But he ended up surviving the cancer, so now she has a job she loves AND her husband who fully supported her through it.

My two heros.

Wow. Justifiably so!

PATCH ADAMS

The right thing to do is rarely the easy thing to do. That's why I admire Patch Adams. He risked being thrown out of medical school in his forth year just so could do what he thought was right. I admire that in a person.

"You treat a desease, you win, you lose....You treat a person, I guarantee you'll win, no matter what the outcome."

Dr. Phil all the way!

WhatUpDoc! said:
Jesus is my hero too.

The one medical professional I always respected growing up was Ben Carson. I also really respect the work of Paul Farmer.

Thundrstorm said:
Jesus is my hero too.

The one medical professional I always respected growing up was Ben Carson. I also really respect the work of Paul Farmer.

Check my avatar (Lance)

Also what Thundrstorm had to say.

Thundrstorm said:
Jesus is my hero too.

Paul Farmer is amazing. Patch Adams is up there too (I love that movie) - both those books made me really want to be a doctor.

There are a lot of people I admire, like Paul Farmer, Patch Adams, a 5th degree black belt in Karate who once said some inspiring words to me, various friends on campus, etc. However, I wouldn't call anyone a hero. I don't have anyone I fully worship in hero status, but there are always several people who inspire me and who I admire for the good work they've done in various areas or the inspiring words they've spoken.

megboo said:

My two heros.
WOW!!!!

megboo said:

My two heros.

Megboo,

That is a beautifully inspiring story. That made me want to have tears in my eyes, and is a true sign of love and honor between a couple to have done all that for each other.

Out of curiousity, what did your dad do for a living???

And while we are on the topic of cancer survivors, I'll say one of the most inspiring essays I ever read was by Stephen Jay Gould. A lot of you may disagree with his views about evolution and liberal political views. But he wrote probably the most inspiriational essay in regards to probability/stats, and his bout with cancer in one of his books.

Just saw the notice about Ben Carson and have to say he's another inspiration to all. He actually came about 1 or 2 years ago to our school to talk. I wish I had a chance to go but something had come up that evening.

gujuDoc said:
Megboo,

That is a beautifully inspiring story. That made me want to have tears in my eyes, and is a true sign of love and honor between a couple to have done all that for each other.

Out of curiousity, what did your dad do for a living???

And while we are on the topic of cancer survivors, I'll say one of the most inspiring essays I ever read was by Stephen Jay Gould. A lot of you may disagree with his views about evolution and liberal political views. But he wrote probably the most inspiriational essay in regards to probability/stats, and his bout with cancer in one of his books.

He was (and still is) a CRNA. They met in nursing school :)

Yeah, it's a sad story, but with a happy ending. My brother was a baby and I was 4 when he was diagnosed and given about 6-9 months to live. My dad's primary objectives were to let mom get a better education for a better job, see me graduate from kindergarten, and see my brother's first steps. 6-9 months turned into a year, which turned into another year, which turned into 5, which turned into 10, and then total remission.

Unfortunately, 15 years later, I was diagnosed with the same cancer, but caught earlier. It was scary, but I didn't have to go through as much radiation.

megboo said:
He was (and still is) a CRNA. They met in nursing school :)

Yeah, it's a sad story, but with a happy ending. My brother was a baby and I was 4 when he was diagnosed and given about 6-9 months to live. My dad's primary objectives were to let mom get a better education for a better job, see me graduate from kindergarten, and see my brother's first steps. 6-9 months turned into a year, which turned into another year, which turned into 5, which turned into 10, and then total remission.

Unfortunately, 15 years later, I was diagnosed with the same cancer, but caught earlier. It was scary, but I didn't have to go through as much radiation.

Glad to see it worked out for both of you. :)

My hero is a fictional character. Tony Montana AKA Scarface.

WhatUpDoc! said:

Despite popular belief, Jesus of Nazareth never actually existed.

The myth of Jesus Christ in its modern form was described first by Mark after the year 70. We know that it was after the year 70 because Mark mentions the destruction of the hebrew temple which can be accurately dated by historians. All of the other gospels are clearly derived from mark. The connection between the supposed death of Jesus and the gospel of Mark is Paul the apostle (formerly Saul of Tarsus). Saul wrote over 80,000 words about Jesus christ, but his story isn't what we would traditionally call the story of Jesus. Saul doesn't mention the virgin mary, Pontius Pilate, etc...and only mentions the capture, crucifixion, and the ressurection of Jesus Christ. Additionally, Saul places Jesus in a mythical realm (rather than on earth). There are other inconsistencies in the development of the Jesus myth. For instance, in the gospel of Peter, it says that Harrod had Jesus killed (Harrod dates before the putative birth of Jesus). It seems that this could not be a matter of such diversity if Jesus was an individual who recently lived.

Additionally, the Myth of Jesus displays many elements which appear to be derived from other myths. The following is a list of 22 items which Lord Raglan (a folklorist) regards as the paragon of the "hero story":

1) The hero's mother is a royal virgin.
2) His father is a king and
3) often a near relative of the mother, but
4) the circumstances of his conception are unusual, and
5) he is also reputed to be the son of a god
6) at birth an attempt is made, usually by his father or maternal grandfather, 7) to kill him, but
8) He is spirited away, and
*9) reared by foster-parents in a far country.
10) We are told nothing of his childhood, but
11) on reaching manhood he returns or goes to his future kingdom.
*12) After a victory over the king and or giant, dragon, or wild beast
*13) he marries a princess, often the daughter of his predecessor and
14) becomes king.
15) For a time he reigns uneventfully and
16) prescribes laws but
17) later loses favor with the gods and or his people and
18) is driven from from the throne and the city after which
19) He meets with a mysterious death
20) often at the top of a hill.
21) His children, if any, do not succeed him.
22) His body is not buried, but nevertheless
he has one or more holy sepulchres.

The following are scores which different heroes receive (I have taken the liberty of placing bolded asterices behind the statements which do not apply to Jesus).

Oedipus scores 21
Theseus scores 20
Moses scores 20
King Arthur scores 19
Jesus of Nazareth scores 19
Dionysus scores 19
Romulus scores 18
Perseus scores 18
Hercules scores 17
Llew Llaw Gyffes scores 17
Bellerophon scores 16
Gilgamesh scores 15
Jason scores 15
Mwindo scores 14
Robin Hood scores 13
Pelops scores 13
James T. Kirk scores 13
Sigurd scores 11.

Repeating elements are common in folklore, and although this is not a scientific study, it seems unlikely that the story of Jesus would show such strong homology to other myths if Jesus were a true historical character. There are other more specific homologies (such as the visit by magi from the east, the betrayal for 30 pieces of silver, and birth on December 25th)-though these similarities are seen in comparitively few hero stories.

Interesting, the similarity of the Jesus story to that of other Pagan gods was actually used rhetorically in proslytising:

"When we say that Jesus Christ was produced without sexual union, was crucified and died, and rose again, and ascended to heaven, we propound nothing new or different from what you believe regarding those whom you call the suns of Jupiter." -Justin Martyr, church father

I hope that you found my discussion interesting and apologize if any of you found my challenge to be offensive. In my opinion, it is important to have a free exchange of ideas between individuals in disagreement so that they might clash and gain wisdom from each other. I admit that theology and folklare are not within my field of expertise, and I am waiting patiently for conformation or disapproval of these ideas. Certainly, it is possible that I have misanalyzed the evidence and am completely wrong. However, I am confident that we all share the common ground of the desire to seek truth and avoid falsity...and that the best way to do this is to carefully analyse the evidence while avoiding bias. Thus, we should be able to have a calm, friendly, and informative discussion.

Much of what I have written is derived from a movie entitled "The God who wasn't there." For a more general and complete argument against the historical existence of Jesus Christ, I would encourage you to check out this link:

http://www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm

Callogician said:
Despite popular belief, Jesus of Nazareth never actually existed.

The myth of Jesus Christ in its modern form was described first by Mark after the year 70. We know that it was after the year 70 because Mark mentions the destruction of the hebrew temple which can be accurately dated by historians. All of the other gospels are clearly derived from mark. The connection between the supposed death of Jesus and the gospel of Mark is Paul the apostle (formerly Saul of Tarsus). Saul wrote over 80,000 words about Jesus christ, but his story isn't what we would traditionally call the story of Jesus. Saul doesn't mention the virgin mary, Pontius Pilate, etc...and only mentions the capture, crucifixion, and the ressurection of Jesus Christ. Additionally, Saul places Jesus in a mythical realm (rather than on earth). There are other inconsistencies in the development of the Jesus myth. For instance, in the gospel of Peter, it says that Harrod had Jesus killed (Harrod dates before the putative birth of Jesus). It seems that this could not be a matter of such diversity if Jesus was an individual who recently lived.

Additionally, the Myth of Jesus displays many elements which appear to be derived from other myths. The following is a list of 22 items which Lord Raglan (a folklorist) regards as the paragon of the "hero story":

1) The hero's mother is a royal virgin.
2) His father is a king and
3) often a near relative of the mother, but
4) the circumstances of his conception are unusual, and
5) he is also reputed to be the son of a god
6) at birth an attempt is made, usually by his father or maternal grandfather, 7) to kill him, but
8) He is spirited away, and
*9) reared by foster-parents in a far country.
10) We are told nothing of his childhood, but
11) on reaching manhood he returns or goes to his future kingdom.
*12) After a victory over the king and or giant, dragon, or wild beast
*13) he marries a princess, often the daughter of his predecessor and
14) becomes king.
15) For a time he reigns uneventfully and
16) prescribes laws but
17) later loses favor with the gods and or his people and
18) is driven from from the throne and the city after which
19) He meets with a mysterious death
20) often at the top of a hill.
21) His children, if any, do not succeed him.
22) His body is not buried, but nevertheless
he has one or more holy sepulchres.

The following are scores which different heroes receive (I have taken the liberty of placing bolded asterices behind the statements which do not apply to Jesus).

Oedipus scores 21
Theseus scores 20
Moses scores 20
King Arthur scores 19
Jesus of Nazareth scores 19
Dionysus scores 19
Romulus scores 18
Perseus scores 18
Hercules scores 17
Llew Llaw Gyffes scores 17
Bellerophon scores 16
Gilgamesh scores 15
Jason scores 15
Mwindo scores 14
Robin Hood scores 13
Pelops scores 13
James T. Kirk scores 13
Sigurd scores 11.

Repeating elements are common in folklore, and although this is not a scientific study, it seems unlikely that the story of Jesus would show such strong homology to other myths if Jesus were a true historical character. There are other more specific homologies (such as the visit by magi from the east, the betrayal for 30 pieces of silver, and birth on December 25th)-though these similarities are seen in comparitively few hero stories.

Interesting, the similarity of the Jesus story to that of other Pagan gods was actually used rhetorically in proslytising:

"When we say that Jesus Christ was produced without sexual union, was crucified and died, and rose again, and ascended to heaven, we propound nothing new or different from what you believe regarding those whom you call the suns of Jupiter." -Justin Martyr, church father

I hope that you found my discussion interesting and apologize if any of you found my challenge to be offensive. In my opinion, it is important to have a free exchange of ideas between individuals in disagreement so that they might clash and gain wisdom from each other. I admit that theology and folklare are not within my field of expertise, and I am waiting patiently for conformation or disapproval of these ideas. Certainly, it is possible that I have misanalyzed the evidence and am completely wrong. However, I am confident that we all share the common ground of the desire to seek truth and avoid falsity...and that the best way to do this is to carefully analyse the evidence while avoiding bias. Thus, we should be able to have a calm, friendly, and informative discussion.

Much of what I have written is derived from a movie entitled "The God who wasn't there." For a more general and complete argument against the historical existence of Jesus Christ, I would encourage you to check out this link:

http://www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm

Oh...well then, I guess I'll just go with Mohammad. Can't go wrong there!

A mention for Douglas Vincent Martinez is appropriate here.

Also, is it a rule of if you're from Long Island, you can't be *anyone*'s here?

Callogician said:
Despite popular belief...blah blah blah.
you sound like a lot of fun.

Georges "RUSH" St. Pierre (Ultimate Fighting Championship fighter)

and Scrooge McDuck comes in a close second.

jebus said:
you sound like a lot of fun.

He's dead once merceptopsycho reads this..the seas will truely part. :scared:

Sundarban1 said:
He's dead once merceptopsycho reads this..the seas will truely part. :scared:
ha ha! that's funny because it's true.

clc8503 said:
PATCH ADAMS

The right thing to do is rarely the easy thing to do. That's why I admire Patch Adams. He risked being thrown out of medical school in his forth year just so could do what he thought was right. I admire that in a person.

"You treat a desease, you win, you lose....You treat a person, I guarantee you'll win, no matter what the outcome."

Patch Adams is totally my hero too. He came to visit my high school during my senior year and gave a lecture, and it was during his lecture, and some personal interaction with him, that I had that "aha! moment" when I realized that I wanted to be a physician. Of course many experiences since have built upon this moment, but the kindness that he radiates, and his entire theory of patient care, is what inspired me to travel down this path.

Emeril Lagassi is my hero.

Mines are pretty corney, but oh well:

Historic: Abraham Lincoln (soft as velvet, hard as stone)

Modern-day: Dr. Goodman (aha, what an awesome name for a doctor) who performed a successful cataracts surgery on my brother back when those surgeries were extremely risky.

Fictional: Atticus Finch; Nick from Great Gatsby; Holden Caufield from catcher and uhhh (goes to library to read more books).

browniegirl86 said:
So apparently she is the one who passed down the "I love biology" gene!

As the first person in my family's history to show any interest in science, I really wish this phrase wasn't used.