Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Pre-Nursing Student Dilemma

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by JoshA9788, Dec 18, 2008.

1. JoshA9788

I am currently a pre-nursing student at a state college in CT. I have not found it challenging whatsoever (most of my other classmates are struggling big-time with classes like A&P and Chem). I chose pre-nursing over pre-med because I did not think I could handle pre-med, but more and more I am weary of my decision. I really think I want to be a doctor. I am aware medical school will be much more difficult than nursing, but I believe I am up for the challenge. However, I am a sophomore and have really only taken some gen eds and nursing prereqs. Is it worth it to switch to pre-med? I would transfer universities because my school does not have a very strong program in the sciences. What would you do?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. yellowtibby

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Are you at Western CT State University?

4. zenlike

zenlike I'll see you in health.
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you feel like you've mastered general bio, chem, and physics, then you're probably in good shape. If you're not sure that your school has prepared you adequately in those subjects, you could get AP review book (from the library) and take the diagnostic test to see where you really stand. I'd say, if you rock the diagnostic test, you can probably feel confident moving forward.

5. JoshA9788

Southern CT

6. yellowtibby

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I say go pre-med. Just make sure, that if your school's program is weak that you do really well at the school. Generally medical schools know how hard the curriculum is at a particular university, at least I know UConn School of Medicine does.

7. JoshA9788

that's why i want to transfer to connecticut college or trinity. i think my grades are good enough. where did you attend, yellow?

8. yellowtibby

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I went to Wesleyan University. Go to Wesleyan we have an amazing med school acceptance rate. :)

9. JoshA9788

ehh, i would, but i think that would be a little bit of a reach for me. i would love to though especially because I could commute (I live in Wallingford). do you know about their transfer admissions at all?

10. yellowtibby

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I know that their transfer admissions is really competitive. Might be harder to get into than their regular admissions. i say try though. I mean connecticut college and trinity are no cake walk either. I visited conn college and trinity and I found that i liked conn better because of location but I know that UConn school of medicine accepts a good amount of trinity kids. You'll really like liberal arts schools though. I loved my time at Wesleyan University