Pre op clinic H&Ps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kidthor

meep
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Apparently our preop clinics (staffed by NPs and PAs mostly) write H&Ps that satisfy the surgeons' requirement for a recent-enough H&P. My prior institution did this as well. It seems many surgeons send patients to our preop clinics both for H&P lackeying (and to not be cancelled).

Is it normal for an anesthesia owned preop clinic to write H&Ps for surgeons?

Members don't see this ad.

Apparently our preop clinics (staffed by NPs and PAs mostly) write H&Ps that satisfy the surgeons' requirement for a recent-enough H&P. My prior institution did this as well. It seems many surgeons send patients to our preop clinics both for H&P lackeying (and to not be cancelled).

Hell no. Surgeons (or their residents/MLPs) need to see the patient and write their own H&P. The only time I've written the H&P for a procedure is a kiddo coming for MRI after a referral from an outpatient neurologist.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Is it normal? No. Is it possible? Yes. The H&P will still need to be updated on day of surgery by the surgeon, but if the preop clinic is collecting the info and doing a basic exam on the patient they are allowed to write an H&P.

H&p for anesthesia? What? Open your gob?

Reactions: 1 user
Hell no. Surgeons (or their residents/MLPs) need to see the patient and write their own H&P. The only time I've written the H&P for a procedure is a kiddo coming for MRI after a referral from an outpatient neurologist.
I wouldn’t even do it then.

We do T&Ps before we put the patient to sleep.
We try to avoid the RIP as much as possible.

Surgeons are supposed to do their own H/P's at our place. We have our own anesthesia pre-eval that has a little portion to copy/paste their note, but we do our own eval including PMH/SMH, social, med rec, and anesthesia related physical exam. The surgeons h/p's are often complete **** that are copy forwarded from their last clinic note. I don't find the information to be reliable at all so we are effectively doing our own h/p day of surgery or if they come to the preop clinic.