Pre-pharm freshman summer job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

codythegreat21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm finishing up my freshman year at augustana college as a pre-pharmacy student and was wondering what I should do, if anything, for a job this summer.

-I know walgreens has an internship program, but that's only for pharmacy students.

-I might become a tech, but I know that takes a lot of training and I'm only going to be working there for ~2 months a year.

-Or should I just not worry about a job this summer?
What I would like to do most is to just shadow a pharmacist this summer and see what they do all day, but i feel like walgreens is too busy to have a kid just standing around doing nothing all day.:confused:

I'd appreciate any help from anybody who has been through this or anybody who knows what they're talking about:laugh:
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello there!
IF you are trying to get a tech job, DON"T DO IT if you are only going to do it for 2 months?! The company wants someone who will work there long term. TRAINING is expensive regardless if you take the PTCE or gone through tech school. You can work as pharmacy clerk though and try to hold that position until you are ready for pharm school.

Shadowing is a good option if you expect to have NO Pharmacy experience. Try to contact your retail, independent or hospital pharmacies if they can accommodate you.

Volunteering is also an option and necessary! Find the volunteering center near you to find these opportunities. You can gain leadership experience here as well.

If you are really that eager and dedicated, take summer classes.

Those are the things that I came up with, good luck to you!

Last edited:
Hello there!
IF you are trying to get a tech job, DON"T DO IT if you are only going to do it for 2 months?! The company wants someone who will work there long term. TRAINING is expensive regardless if you take the PTCE or gone through tech school. You can work as pharmacy clerk though and try to hold that position until you are ready for pharm school.

Shadowing is a good option if you expect to have NO Pharmacy experience. Try to contact your retail, independent or hospital pharmacies if they can accommodate you.

Volunteering is also an option and necessary! Find the volunteering center near you to find these opportunities. You can gain leadership experience here as well.

If you are really that eager and dedicated, take summer classes.

Those are the things that I came up with, good luck to you!

This post is spot on. I would highly suggest doing some volunteer work if you dont plan on becoming a tech. Good luck!