Pre Pharmacy at Long Island University!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MishMash

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, Im so intimidates and scared for the pharmacy admission. I just finished my first semester at long island university brooklyn campus. My GPA was 3.5 and i got a B+ in Biology. I don't know im really upset at this, all my friends are telling me that in order to be accepted you need like a 3.8.. and only A's... ? Is this true?

Also what are some of the things that i should do ex. volunteer, to up my chances? Im really motivated but deadly scared ...

Thanks =)

Members don't see this ad.

:)

Hey guys, Im so intimidates and scared for the pharmacy admission. I just finished my first semester at long island university brooklyn campus. My GPA was 3.5 and i got a B+ in Biology. I don't know im really upset at this, all my friends are telling me that in order to be accepted you need like a 3.8.. and only A's... ? Is this true? This is not true

Also what are some of the things that i should do ex. volunteer, to up my chances? Im really motivated but deadly scared ... Don't get scared. I would definitely check out the WAMC (What Are My Chances) thread that is at the top of this forum. It gives realistic chances and people give alot of feed back on GPAs and what you need to do to increase chances of getting in.

Thanks =)

No it's not true. Average gpa of acceptees is between 3.4 and 3.5, and even lower sometimes. But just shoot as high as you can to be safe, so if you mess up on the PCAT and the rest of the app is not strong, you do not have to worry too much. Good luck though..you can do it. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
You do not need a 3.8 to get into LIU, but a 3.8 GPA would guarantee you an interview at LIU. If you're an LIU Pre-Pharm, then I think a 3.0 will earn you an interview.

I've heard that things have gotten really cut-throat over at LIU so try to ignore things you hear from your classmates.

I've heard that things have gotten really cut-throat over at LIU so try to ignore things you hear from your classmates.

What do you mean LIU has "gotten really cut-throat"? Don't tell me admissions process is going to be really bad :scared:

What do you mean LIU has "gotten really cut-throat"? Don't tell me admissions process is going to be really bad :scared:

What I meant is that I heard that everyone's a bitch to the other students and no one wants to help each other anymore like it was 2-4 years ago.

Basically, no student at LIU is your friend until you get into the actual professional program.

^ Sadly, that's very true. I'm in my second year of pre-pharm at LIU and you really see people's true colors. You think they're your friends when they need help.....

Yea its true about the students.. I am competitive, like i know who my competition is, but its not worth being a ***... Although I envy does straight A students, I try to do my best..

yea it def like that and thats why im not nice to ppl over their im in my second year i remb having problems in calc and my friend glided through and got an A and i struggled to get a B- well karmas a big thing she never really helped me and she always pretended like she didn't understand anything well.. in orgo i got a B and she got a D so i dont really know what to say and i also helped her because she really needed the help but for orgo 2 im on my own i really realized that ppl either use you their or they will try and screw you over for example they will tell you to take a teacher when the teacher is horrible and unless you check on ratemyprof you wont really know this

yea it def like that and thats why im not nice to ppl over their im in my second year i remb having problems in calc and my friend glided through and got an A and i struggled to get a B- well karmas a big thing she never really helped me and she always pretended like she didn't understand anything well.. in orgo i got a B and she got a D so i dont really know what to say and i also helped her because she really needed the help but for orgo 2 im on my own i really realized that ppl either use you their or they will try and screw you over for example they will tell you to take a teacher when the teacher is horrible and unless you check on ratemyprof you wont really know this

Yeah, that happened to me in the Fall of my 2nd year. I was going to delay Anatomy until the Spring and take Physics in the fall, and I had a professor I liked for Physics, but some tools told me to take this "easy" professor.

However, when they said easy, they meant that she asks for very little material on the exams, however the professor couldn't teach at all.

I'd prefer a professor who teaches really well with hard exams, as opposed to a professor who cannot teach with easy exams.