ASDF 686

10+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
What is your undergrad major and how long do you think it will take to complete with your pharmacy school pre-requisites?

Say you do a degree that has nothing to due with your major, how long will it take to complete the all the pharmacy school pre-requisites?

maximus0723

10+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
My major is Bio. It usually take 2-3 years even w.o any background to complete all the requirements. It took me 2 b.c I took summer classes.

As long as u have interest things will go quickly.

eightonesix

10+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2008
Bay Area, California
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
My undergrad major is Neurology, Physiology, and Behavior (NPB). It's pretty much the same thing as Human Physiology. A lot of the pre-reqs line up with major requirements so its not such a big deal. But looking at the way my classes are set up and the quarter system, it would take my two years with summers (strictly pre-reqs) and three years without summers.

I'm assuming your other question meant if you were, say, a music major trying to get into pharmacy school (like broad ends of the spectrum - not hating on the music majors), you could still complete the pre-requisites and graduate within 4 years depending on the major's unit requirements.

About the Ads

calisoca

10+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
If you can show proficiency in all of the prereqs then it won't matter what your major is; however, some institutions require a B.S. (and even if they don't require, often the majority of those accepted have one--no smart asses please, I know there are exceptions) so majoring in something that isn't science related may drop odds a little. Usually takes 2-3 yrs to complete the prereqs because students are concurrently completing courses for their major, provided it's unrelated. Hope that helps.

inquirer89

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2008
I'm currently in pharmaceutical sciences, but thinking of switching to biology or biotechnology (pretty much the same thing).

It'll take me a total of 2 years including summers to finish the prereqs, but it also depends on the individual schools you are applying to. Some schools require A&P, while some don't for example.

wannaBpharmD

10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
anyone know if a B.S. in biology vs. a B.S. in molecular biology would make a difference to the adcoms?

ThatPerson

10+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
I am an Economics major. I finished all my pre-reqs in two years with two summers.

ASDF 686

10+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
What if I were to do a business major, but do very good in the pharmacy pre-requisites. Would I be at a disadvantage or be less competitive to a pharmacy school than a student with science degree?

I really don't know what to major in. But I know for a fact I want to get into the medical line, either Pharmacy, Dentistry, or Optometry.

I really enjoy both chemistry and business, but would prefer business more...

hipharm

10+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
What if I were to do a business major, but do very good in the pharmacy pre-requisites. Would I be at a disadvantage or be less competitive to a pharmacy school than a student with science degree?

I really don't know what to major in. But I know for a fact I want to get into the medical line, either Pharmacy, Dentistry, or Optometry.

My friend got accepted to a Pharm D. program with a business degree.:)

medicalCPA

Actually, it's medicalCPA, PhD now
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2007
NYC, Baby!
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I got accepted to pharmacy school with two degrees. One of them was in Accounting.

Would you seriously let strangers on a forum dictate what you should study in college for the next four years (or however many years you have left)? PHARMACY SCHOOLS DO NOT CARE WHAT YOU MAJOR IN!!!!!

calisoca

10+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
Would you seriously let strangers on a forum dictate what you should study in college for the next four years

Thank you. Why is everybody so timid about this process and afraid to be an individual? As if there is a "right way" to do this. Take a chance. Stand out. Be a unique individual not a robot.

BeethovenJr17

10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy

I was just accepted to the University of Pacific in early admissions and I am a business major. As a business major you may have fewer science courses as someone with a biology degree, but I do not believe that makes you any less competitive. In fact, so much of the pharmaceutical field (especially retail) is business related now, it may actually provide you an advantage. The most important thing I think is to have a strong desire for the field. The interviews can tell those who have a passion for the field versus those that just want to make money.

xscpx

10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
I have three: Chemistry, Anthropology, and Classics. College is a once in a lifetime experience for most people and I think you should major in what it is you are interested in. It's one of the few times in our lives where we can literally do anything. It doesn't matter how long it takes as long as you get there the way you wanted to.

fenixtnlfan

P2 Wildcat
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2007
Tucson, AZ
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student

I just wanted to point out there are quite a few pharm schools that offer a joint program for PharmD/MBA. So if you are really interested in business, you can continue that in pharm school.

hktt1801

10+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2008
Status (Visible)
College is a once in a lifetime experience for most people and I think you should major in what it is you are interested in. It's one of the few times in our lives where we can literally do anything. It doesn't matter how long it takes as long as you get there the way you wanted to.

I completely agree. It's really a once in a lifetime opportunity for you to take courses that you LOVE before you focus and take all pharmacy related courses in pharmacy school. When you graduate and later on go to grad school, you're going to look back and say "Man I wish I had taken _(insert course here)__ but I didn't." Well, here's your chance.

I think that in general, you will do very well in courses that you truly enjoy, which is good for you and your GPA, so that's a win-win situation. I also read somewhere that you'd be happier which is no-brainer :). Everybody is different, so find out what makes you light up. Doing that and finishing pre-reqs is very do-able!!

Having said all that, I don't think having a BS makes you more competitive than others who have a BA because as long as you have a college degree and did well on your pre-pharm reqs, you're good to go. Again everyone is different, so there are those who enjoy majoring in something science-related so they earned a BS, and then there are those who love other areas that lead to a BA.... More importantly, I would focus on grades, extracurricular activities, work/volunteer, and personal aspects than debate about going down the BA vs. BS path. (sorry this ended up being kinda long)

WhiteSnows

Think Right and Grow Rich
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2007
Next to the Ocean
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
The Dean at my school said that he liked students to have BS over BA. It thinks it depends on the school. By the way, why did everyone make it such a big deal? The author of this post just wants to have some advice from individual. Please, stop critizing other replier since it is not written for you but the author of this thread.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.