Pre-Pod Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuturePod88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering which courses besides for the standard Pre-Reqs (Bio1,2-Chem1,2-Physics 1,2-Orgo 1,2,English) do Pod schools like to see for an applicant?
And if I wouldn't have taken these am I at a disadvantage during admissions?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering which courses besides for the standard Pre-Reqs (Bio1,2-Chem1,2-Physics 1,2-Orgo 1,2,English) do Pod schools like to see for an applicant?
And if I wouldn't have taken these am I at a disadvantage during admissions?

Well, I'm not sure of all of the courses they might like to see, but I can tell you that some of the courses that I did take were metnioned (in a positive way) at a few interviews. I'm not sure what (if any) impact not taking such courses would have, my guess is not much of an impact at all, but I'm not on an adcom either so...

Anyway, here are some additional courses I took-- A&P, Biochemistry I&II, Cell Biology, Genetics, Immunology, Calculus, Pathobiology, Biology Statistics, Animal Physiology, Microbiology, and I don't remember what else ;) . I didn't interview at many places but at the ones I went to the courses I took were mentioned. Except at OCPM---but that wasn't really an interview, it was more of a "here is your acceptance letter, thanks for coming to the school to check us out, send in the next person" type of scenario. :confused:

Honestly though, I would think that any upper level science courses you take would be looked on favorably by any of the schools--as long as you do well in them. :)

If you are looking for a few more science courses to take I would recommend Immunology and Genetics just for the fun factor. Both were very interesting and easy to study for as they were both fascinating.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Thanks for the response, I don't think I'm going to take any other courses(besides the pre-reqs) before I apply, but I will probably take them in the summer, do you think I should mention that I'm taking those in my application/interview.

Thanks for the response, I don't think I'm going to take any other courses(besides the pre-reqs) before I apply, but I will probably take them in the summer, do you think I should mention that I'm taking those in my application/interview.

I would mention them in the application. I don't know that I would mention them during an interview unless you are asked about them for some reason (I doubt you would be). :)