Pre/post interview dinner attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OtisRSB

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does casual really mean casual...are jeans appropriate?

Members don't see this ad.

Does casual really mean casual...are jeans appropriate?

Jeans may be appropriate in some places, depending on where you go. I just got back from an IM interview in West Virginia, and we had a pre-interview dinner at this place called Quaker Steak and Lube. Just from the name of the restaurant, you know its the type of place where jeans would be acceptable. But use discretion with regards to attire. Most of the time, for guys anyway, you're better off with slacks and a decent shirt.

I would echo the above...you can't go wrong with wearing a pair of khakis and a button down shirt; tie probably optional but it depends on where the event is held.

Jeans might be too casual and I think you would look better and feel more comfortable (psychologically not physically) if you were more dressed up.

i have a dinner tomorrow evening... i simply called the program coordinator and asked what's appropriate attire for that restaurant. she said jeans, i'm wearing jeans. i'll let ya'll know if it ends up biting me in the butt. i'm a pathology applicant though, not considered one of the more conservative dressing fields.

Common guys...why does everyone worry about this non-issue...Wear whatever makes you comfortable and what the occassion calls for...

Personally I feel more comfortably, psychologically that is, when I'm well dressed. For my first dinner I wore my brown suit, French cuff shirt and no tie. I looked totally different (akward, perhaps) because the other applicants were in jeans. Second dinner, I was tempted to wear jeans (sort of my night-life outfit) in order to fit in but I didn't feel comfortable in that. I eventually decided on dressing up again but no suit this time around.

Bottom line...dress however you deem right as long as you don't appear too "street" or appear to be peacocking.

Proph..