Pre-Reading Before Medical School Starts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onb2014

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it's a big no-no to study in the summer prior to medical school, but having taken the pre-req courses over 5 years ago, I'll probably be at a disadvantage relative to the science majors who've taken 10+ upper-level science courses (see here. Any medical school textbooks or step 1 review books that you recommend might be helpful to get up to speed?

Members don't see this ad.

I too have been away from school for a period of time, and am faced with the same situation.

From what I've read here, though, it's a mistake to spend your time doing that.

IF you can't stand not to (which is a big reason you probably don't NEED to), why not get a kaplan mcat review book from your local library. They go over the basic sciences and would knock off a bit of the rust.

If you read the right material, idont see why it would be a mistake. Sometimes i did it for undergrad classes, and it always helped. It could be a mistake if you do not know which school you will attend.

Finding the right books for your school you will attend, even if you dont start reading them, can also be helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think an MCAT review book would be much help for your 1st year courses.

If you insist upon studying....

Take a look at your required books next year. Most have introductory chapters that might be a good review. Brush up on some basic biochemistry perhaps? Maybe go over some old physiology notes?

1st year will be a lot of memorization. The true critical thought/problem solving type questions come a little later. Medical school courses all start at the very beginning so although your classmates with 10+ science classes may be at an advantage the first few weeks or so, after that its an even playing field.

You will be fine if you don't touch a book at all this summer. If your going to study make sure its just to help put yourself at ease about this whole med school thing. Its too soon to start memorizing any facts that would be of benefit for that first exam.

Have a great summer!

Please do not read anything before starting medical school.... much of the crap i.e. embryology, histology, cell biology, biochemistry, and anatomy that you learn during your 1st year you will forget (i.e. I thought i would never forget the brachial plexus for the rest of my life during anatomy but now I can't even name 1/2 of those nerves) so you're basically learning stuff just to take a test so the best thing to do is just learn what your professors are teaching you because they are the ones that are writing the questions for the test... It doesn't matter that you might be rusty from not having much science classes in the past and reading something like a step 1 review book would only just confuse you more because review books are meant to REVIEW stuff that you comprehensively gone over before so it won't help you... What starts to matter is the 2nd year courses like pathology and pharmacology but there is no point to pre-read if you have no idea what they are talking about...

in conclusion... DON'T READ (unless its something fun like Harry Potter)

MCAT review isn't going to do you any good. That material is far removed from what you learn in medical school. You could brush up on the first couple chapters of Lippencott's Biochem if you're so inclined, but don't kill yourself.

I agree, Harry Potter.

(In seriousness, anatomy is probably the basic science that remains most relavent throughout training, but this depends on what specialty you choose)

-senior medical student (45 days to go)

I know it's a big no-no to study in the summer prior to medical school, but having taken the pre-req courses over 5 years ago, I'll probably be at a disadvantage relative to the science majors who've taken 10+ upper-level science courses (see here. Any medical school textbooks or step 1 review books that you recommend might be helpful to get up to speed?

No no no no no no no no no. Do not start reading med school textbooks or step 1 review books before you start med school. No. Just no. The advice given thousands of times not to try to pre-learn med school applies to you as much as everyone else. Doesnt matter that you haven't taken the prereqs in a while. This is only foundation -- you won't actually use these in med school to any real degree (give or take biochem if your med school requires it as a prereq, but even then you have time to re-learn it in med school). You have time once things start and once you adjust to the pace. Nothing you do before med school will advantage you much. It is wasted effort. You are far better off resting up and being ready to hit the ground refreshed and ready to run. This is a marathon, and you are talking about doing windsprints the morning of the race to better prepare. Foolish. Don't tire yourself out and don't waste the time focusing on things that may not even be close to what they expect you to focus in on and in the detail they want you to know it. The person who spends the summer before med school drinking margaritas by the pool is preparing themselves for med school far better than the person studying before they start. Not a question in my mind. And it doesn't matter how long ago they took organic chemistry. Seriously. Just no.

I have also had this worry. Just seemed like the best idea would be to get a jump on things. But everyone I have talked to has told me not to do it. lol after so much of the same response, I figured there must be some truth in it.

I'm not sure which med school you've been accepted to but I can sympathize since my background is similar to yours (non-trad, 5+ years from college etc). Luckily, one of the schools I was accepted to, Tufts, has a summer program particularly for students in this situation(free of charge). Selection criteria based on your background and you're given free housing and books. The courses are diluted M1 classes along with some good study technique classes thrown in. The program starts in July( I think) and ends in August (before orientation). I'm looking forward to learning more about it but so far it sounds great for me.

I do agree with other posters not to start reading on your own since it might be a futile effort. Instead, contact your school and see if they have a similar program like the one I just described for non-trads. This will much more beneficial since you'll be taught and guided by professors who you will be seeing again very shortly.

I'm not sure which med school you've been accepted to but I can sympathize since my background is similar to yours (non-trad, 5+ years from college etc). Luckily, one of the schools I was accepted to, Tufts, has a summer program particularly for students in this situation(free of charge). Selection criteria based on your background and you're given free housing and books. The courses are diluted M1 classes along with some good study technique classes thrown in. The program starts in July( I think) and ends in August (before orientation). I'm looking forward to learning more about it but so far it sounds great for me.

I do agree with other posters not to start reading on your own since it might be a futile effort. Instead, contact your school and see if they have a similar program like the one I just described for non-trads. This will much more beneficial since you'll be taught and guided by professors who you will be seeing again very shortly.

Agreed. If the school itself has a program to help focus you toward how to approach a med school course, give you a sense of the detail required, and the expectations and the like, this won't be quite as useless as you picking up a book to try and pre-learn. I still think you are probably fine without this, and run the risk of burnout if you start in on med school before med school, but I wouldn't be as vehemently against this more focused med school sanctioned program.

get rohen's anatomy and study that

and **** brix

just kidding... do a lot of leisure reading, watching some tv, and relaxing because med school never stops, never, never, nevar stops