Pre-Req GPA vs. Science GPA vs. Overall GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plsfoldthx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I just got out of college with a BS in biochem but my grades are pretty ****. My pre-req GPA is OK because I took them mostly my first 2-3 years of school, but then I got a cancer scare which didnt turn out to be cancer but I developed major generalized anxiety from a panic attack which resulted from thinking about it and school constantly... as a result, my grades started slipping and I started smoking pot heavily (I stopped), I did badly in science classes because the thought of immunology and physiology just made my head spin at the thought of my mortality. But I dont know why I kept taking classes... I never went to class... crammed for midterms and tests and somehow passed. I was kinda at a stand-still and just thought signing up for more classes couldnt hurt (it did)...

It's been like 4+ years since the incident but the last 2 years of college I was completely out of it. A few bad grades early on in my predicament destroyed my ambition for medical school and I got into poker heavily (I was actually pretty damn good at it and made a living off it for about a year over hundreds of thousands of logged hands), but time heals.. I am regaining my focus, I am happier, I exercise regularly, but kinda still look at my grades and cringe. I should have taken a break from school after my anxiety attack, but what's done is done.

Here are my grades, the bad grades in upper division classes are generally towards the end of my undergrad career. Now I believe I'm a smart guy, got dealt a few bad cards (but not terrible), but completely mis-handled my situation.

QUESTION:
I am thinking doing a Master's program will help me get a fresh start psychologically and allow me to work hard and prove that I can handle a rigorous courseload.

1) Is this a good idea? I heard Master's dont really help your GPA, but my pre-reqs are decent.
2) Do pre-req grades count more than grades say in Plant Biology? Or is the same ****?

I havent taken MCATs yet (Taking it end of summer), but I believe I can score competetively. I want to apply next year (2010), but I would ONLY be doing a Master's for medical school and nothing else. Otherwise, I would just want to go ahead and apply for Pharm.D. this June.

***GRADES BELOW****

No MCAT

Total Science GPA: 89.03/29 = 3.07

Biology, Physics, Chemistry (general & organic) & all related labs= 45.33/13 = 3.49

All other science = 43.7/16 = 2.73

Bio/Lab

BILD 1 – The Cell – A, 4

BILD 2 – Multicellular Life – B+, 3.3

Phys1A/Lab – A/A-, 3.85

Phys1B/Lab – B/B+, 3.15

Phys1C/Lab – A-/B, 3.35

Chemistry/Lab – general and organic

Chem6A – A-, 3.7

Chem6B – B, 3

Chem6C – A-, 3.7

Chem6BL (Gen. Chem. Lab) – B, 3

Chem140A – A, 4

Chem140B – B+, 3.3

Chem140C – B+, 3.3

Chem143A (Org. Chem. Lab) – A-, 3.7

Others – 16 total – 43.7

BICD 100 (Genetics) – B, 3

BIPN 100 (Mammalian Physiology I) – B+, 3.3

BIBC 100 (Structural Biochem) – B, 3

BIBC 102 (Metabolic Biochem) – A, 4

BIPN 102 (Mammalian Physiology II) – C, 2

BIBC 130 (Marine Biochemistry) – A-, 3.7

BIBC 103 (Biochemical techniques) – B+, 3.3

BIMM 100 (Molecular Bio) – D/B, 2 (2nd grade is retake)

BIMM 120 (Bacteriology) – B-, 2.7

BIPN 142 (Systems Neurobiology) – C, 2

BICD 110 (Cell Bio) – C, 2

BICD 140 (Immunology) – D/B, 2

BIPN 140 (Cellular Neurobiology) – B-, 2.7

BICD 120 (Fundamentals of Plant Bio) – C+, 2.3

BICD 150 (Immunology) – B, 3

BIMM 118 (Pharmacology) – B-, 2.7

Members don't see this ad.

Getting a masters degree will not redeem your academic record. It will not help you get into allopathic (MD) medical school. Prereq grades are not given more weight than other BCPM grades.

If you decide to consider an osteopathic medical degee (DO), a masters degree in a hard science would help, as the grades would be figured into your application GPA along with the undergrad grades. The DO application service will replace your poor grades with the newer one where you repeated the class, allowing you to raise your GPA quickly. If you want more information about this option, see SDN's Pre-Osteo forum.

Here is a DO GPA calculator spreadsheet, to help you figure out what your application GPA would be currently: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=450050

Getting a masters degree will not redeem your academic record. It will not help you get into allopathic (MD) medical school. Prereq grades are not given more weight than other BCPM grades.

If you decide to consider an osteopathic medical degee (DO), a masters degree in a hard science would help, as the grades would be figured into your application GPA along with the undergrad grades. The DO application service will replace your poor grades with the newer one where you repeated the class, allowing you to raise your GPA quickly. If you want more information about this option, see SDN's Pre-Osteo forum.

Here is a DO GPA calculator spreadsheet, to help you figure out what your application GPA would be currently: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=450050

Just bumping this to say this is wrong. You can do an SMP/Masters Degree to pull your GPA up and it's what MD applicants find themselves doing. It has nothing to do with MD vs. DO.

Also, damn this person took a lot of upper level biology classes. Really unnecessary in my opinion. And if they did the master's degree in Physiology or something afterwards...just overkill before med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just bumping this to say this is wrong. You can do an SMP/Masters Degree to pull your GPA up and it's what MD applicants find themselves doing. It has nothing to do with MD vs. DO.

Also, damn this person took a lot of upper level biology classes. Really unnecessary in my opinion. And if they did the master's degree in Physiology or something afterwards...just overkill before med school.

why would you bump a 4 year old thread

why would you bump a 4 year old thread

Are you a moderator? There's something called Google. People search common queries on there and oftentimes old threads show up. When non-members look things up they often neglect/forget to check the dates of things. I'm just trying to be helpful. Go be critical elsewhere.