pre-req questions.plzzzz reply urgent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cool_vkb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone use Biochemistry course (with lab) to fulfill the Biology requirements as well as the organic chemistry requirements.

On the Scholl website it says "We believe students would benefit from an academic background in biochemistry, microbiology or other advanced biological setting" and for organic chemistry the website says "Biochemistry may be substituted for half of the Organic Chemistry requirement".

So do you guys think, Biochemistry class (offered by dept of chemistry) can be used to fullfill the biology requirements also.

Iam asking this bcoz a friend of mine is planning to apply for scholl. i know its late but just taking a chance. he has great GPA and shadowing experience and 8 credits in physics, 8 credits in chem, 8 credits in Organic chem (4 credit organic + 4 credit biochemistry), and 8 credit Biology (zoology and anatomy).

the only problem is scholl requires 12 credits in biology and he has completed only 8 credits in bio. Thats why iam wondering if he could use his 4 credits Biochemistry class (which he is also using to show his 8 credits in organic requiremnts) in the biology requirement also.

Please reply soon. i sent an email to scholl also. but since its already evening we are not gonna get any reply till morning. and you know me :D , just cant wait that long.

plzzzzzzzzz reply.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey cool,

Not sure if this will help. BUT I took biochem and they still told me to take Orgo II (so my biochem didnt work towards my orgo chem). I thought that was weird. But best to call Scholl on your situation.

Hey cool,

Not sure if this will help. BUT I took biochem and they still told me to take Orgo II (so my biochem didnt work towards my orgo chem). I thought that was weird. But best to call Scholl on your situation.

hmmm that is really wierd. bcoz my biochemistry was accepted towards my Orgochem requirements. since my friend took the same course with me. i am pretty confident it will be accepted in fullfilling orgo requirement. the real question is will it fulfill the biology requirement also for him?

Did your biochem had any labs? and was it offered by Dept of Chemistry or it was a course under biology dept. and was it called " Biochemistry" or something else like "Chemistry of life" or "molecular biology".

Members don't see this ad :)
hmmm that is really wierd. bcoz my biochemistry was accepted towards my Orgochem requirements. since my friend took the same course with me. i am pretty confident it will be accepted in fullfilling orgo requirement. the real question is will it fulfill the biology requirement also for him?

Did your biochem had any labs? and was it offered by Dept of Chemistry or it was a course under biology dept. and was it called " Biochemistry" or something else like "Chemistry of life" or "molecular biology".

Ah, mine was under the biology department. Neither orgo II or biochem at my school have a lab. I think orgo II does, but its a completely separate thing that only chem majors do I think. i would THINK that biochem would count towards biology if it was under the bio department. I'd apply with what he/she has, and call scholl (or whereever) on monday.

Ah, mine was under the biology department. Neither orgo II or biochem at my school have a lab. I think orgo II does, but its a completely separate thing that only chem majors do I think. i would THINK that biochem would count towards biology if it was under the bio department. I'd apply with what he/she has, and call scholl (or whereever) on monday.

yeah i guess thats why they didnt accepted that. i have sent an email to scholl. i hope they reply by tomorrow or else i will ask my friend to give them a call and find out.