Pre-req re-takes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kronickm

even par.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This could also go in the non-trad forums but bear with me.

I am in a post-bac atm. I opted out of taking the post-bac math class as I took an advanced calculus course during undergrad.

My issue is that I got a C in the class and took it freshman undergrad year. I certainly have no problems with math (780 sat math and 720 gre math) I merely just bombed everything freshman year. I have a 4.0 in my post-bac, (and had a 4.0 over the last 2 years of undergrad) so overall GPA is not that big a deal.

Basically should I retake a math class that is going to cost a good amount of money when I certainly don't need it, just so I don't have a C in my only college level math class?

Or do you think ADCOMS can see from my test scores that I know how to do math, and that from my junior/senior year GPA and post-bac GPA(math/science GPA should end up around 3.7) that I am fine?

adcom participation is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a similar situation, and my advisor told me, since I got a C+ in a pre-req, but was alright in everything else gradewise, to not worry about that one grade, since the rest of my grades show that that C+ was an anomaly. I guess you could retake it if you really wanted to, just make sure you don't bomb it again.

Seriously, you don't need to retake the Calc. class unless you really need the help on your GPA, and it sounds like you don't. I kinda bombed undergrad calc (my worst grades, bar none) but in the end, it didn't really affect my chances at all.

Of course, people are going to tell you on here that a C is forbidden and that re-taking the course will show dedication which might make some difference when your file comes up to debate at the Adcom, but the truth is, it will most likely be a time-drain for you, and your performance in other courses will suffer, as well. Don't take it unless you really care about calculus.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't take it unless you really care about calculus.

Show me a man(or woman) who really cares about calculus and I will show you a fool.

apologies in advance to all you math majors.

Show me a man(or woman) who really cares about calculus and I will show you a fool.

apologies in advance to all you math majors.

TOTALLY! HA! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: