Pre-req sequence, and part time vs. full time post-bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYeyeGirl

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello again everyone. Since I love hearing your always helpful opinions, I have a question about pre-req sequence for you. I am starting from scratch this spring. Need to take chem, chem 2, calc, stats, phys 1 + 2, bio 1 +2, and orgo 1 +2, all with labs. Then take the OAT. This will probably take me 2 years, esp. if I go part-time. I was thinking to start part-time and then go full time. But the thing is, if I can do 2 classes+labs per semester part-time, and do the rest in the summer, it would definitely fit into 2 years. If I went full-time, it seems like it would take me about the same amount of time, as crazy as that sounds... maybe only 1 semester less (although if full time, i could take extra electives like micro and anatomy, etc.) I would have a life but a lot more in loans. My questions are:

1. Would you recommend part-time or full-time post-bac? I am somewhat familiar with the material, but not to the greatest extent.

2. In what sequence should I take the classes and when should I take the OAT?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

1. i guess it doesnt really matter, unless u have a timeframe of when u want to graduate. i would space out difficult+easy classes each year, rather than take all pre-reqs immediately...(ex. Organic with Stats/Math, then Physics with Bio, etc.)

2. if i could do it over again, i would've done my OAT right after my 2nd year. refreshing sucks! basically once u've done intro math, **physics**, and organic...you should consider the OAT right away. biology/chemistry should be fairly easy even if u know nothing.

hope that helps, Tony

Originally posted by NYeyeGirl
1. Would you recommend part-time or full-time post-bac? I am somewhat familiar with the material, but not to the greatest extent.

2. In what sequence should I take the classes and when should I take the OAT?.
I took the same classes in a year and a half (including the summer for o-chem II+lab), and went full-time. Knowing I would be able to afford it (because of my wonderful husband! :D ) made the decision to go full-time *much* easier. It's do-able as a part-time student, but these are all challenging classes (no fluff!).

The sequence you take the classes in is pretty much dictated by the pre-reqs for them, to some extent. Here's what I did:

fall 2001:
bio I + lab
gen chem II + lab
phys I + lab

spring 2002:
microbio (required for PCO, I think)
o-chem I + lab
phys II + lab

summer 2002:
o-chem II + lab

fall 2002: (took the OAT in Oct)
psych (required for a couple schools)
genetics
stat

If you can take a light fall course load the fall you take the OAT, you can use some of the time to prepare for it. One benefit of taking all the pre-reqs pretty much at once is that you don't need to review anything that much since you just recently took *everything*! ;)