Pre-reqs at a CC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xbowers003

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was planning on taking physics and orgo (1 and 2) at a CC for the upcoming spring and fall semesters...

Im nervous now because I'm reading that this may not be a good idea? I just graduated from a 4 year university with a 3.91 overall, and a 4.00 science gpa (at the 4 year I took, bio 1, bio 2, chem 1, chem 2, anatomy, phys, genetics, pre-calc and calc 1). Unfortunately, my financial situation (divorced parents, both incomes below poverty line) had me graduate earlier than I wanted and having to finish phyiscs and orgo at a CC.

Any advice? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think taking those classes at a CC would be fine. Your ugrad grades show that you can obviously handle the work and aren't trying to avoid weed out classes. Red flags are raised when students take all or most of their science pre-reqs at community colleges while enrolled in 4 year schools, as it shows that they're GPA-padding. Saving money by taking 3 classes at a CC as a post-bacc student shouldn't raise any issues at all.

I think taking those classes at a CC would be fine. Your ugrad grades show that you can obviously handle the work and aren't trying to avoid weed out classes. Red flags are raised when students take all or most of their science pre-reqs at community colleges while enrolled in 4 year schools, as it shows that they're GPA-padding. Saving money by taking 3 classes at a CC as a post-bacc student shouldn't raise any issues at all.

Phew. Okay that too was my my line of thinking. If I could, I definitely would have liked to have taken them at my 4 year university (I lost my job by graduating, and would still have it if I didnt!) Its surely not a cop out. I will also to make sure to nail my MCAT to reinforce further that copping out wasn't my case.

I was planning on taking physics and orgo (1 and 2) at a CC for the upcoming spring and fall semesters...

Im nervous now because I'm reading that this may not be a good idea? I just graduated from a 4 year university with a 3.91 overall, and a 4.00 science gpa (at the 4 year I took, bio 1, bio 2, chem 1, chem 2, anatomy, phys, genetics, pre-calc and calc 1). Unfortunately, my financial situation (divorced parents, both incomes below poverty line) had me graduate earlier than I wanted and having to finish phyiscs and orgo at a CC.

Any advice? Thanks!

I don't think this will be a problem. I had to leave my uni for a year and a half to take care of my father and while away I also had to take Orgo at a CC. I've asked about it on here and the general response has been that if you've proven that you can do well taking full courseloads at a uni (which you have), your gpas are good (which yours definitely are) and you had a legitimate reason for taking pre-reqs away from a uni (which you definitely do), then ADCOMs shouldn't have an issue with it.