Pre-reqs at CC and got into a CA school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ipinjoy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there. Im curious to know if there is anyone out there who took pre-reqs at a community college and got an interview or even accepted to a pharmacy program in CA. Im a little worried since a UOP admissions counselor told me my app wont be competitive enough if I take my pre-reqs at a CC (even though I already have a bachelors degree). Unfortunately, I cannot affort to take pre-reqs at a university level. I am considering taking biochem and genetics at the university level, but I am really not fond of the idea of charging tuition or even taking out a loan. I know there is more to the app than the school you took the pre-reqs from, but I just want to have some kind of idea if im going in the right direction. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

ipinjoy said:
Hi there. Im curious to know if there is anyone out there who took pre-reqs at a community college and got an interview or even accepted to a pharmacy program in CA. Im a little worried since a UOP admissions counselor told me my app wont be competitive enough if I take my pre-reqs at a CC (even though I already have a bachelors degree). Unfortunately, I cannot affort to take pre-reqs at a university level. I am considering taking biochem and genetics at the university level, but I am really not fond of the idea of charging tuition or even taking out a loan. I know there is more to the app than the school you took the pre-reqs from, but I just want to have some kind of idea if im going in the right direction. Thanks!

i was in the same boat. at the usc workshop, they said that prereqs from cc weigh less than uc or cal state. i was discouraged, but all my science gpa was 3.57 and i turned in my applic way early. consequently, i got accepted to western and got interviews at usc, touro, pacific.....regarding the UOP, since i had 5 more classes to take , they put my applic for a re-review and that i should mail them my fall 2005 transcripts asap...but i decided not to go there....

ipinjoy said:

I also have a BS in different field so took most of science requirements at CC. As of now, I am accepted to a couple of schools. It is true that you are not as competitive as people from 4 years school academically if they have similar GPA as yours. However, you don't have to go back to 4 year school to get accepted to pharmacy school; it is just too expensive.

It is a lot easier to get an A from CC so you should get as many As as possible from science courses. Also, you need to try to finish most of requirements before applying, specially O-Chem I and II and most of Biology classes.

Be aware that GPA is just one of factors when they make a selection from applicants. Get pharmacy experiences and prepare for good recommendation letters as well.

Good luck.