Pre-reqs at time of applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DSNCSUN

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody ever heard of any schools which require that you have all or a certain number of pre-reqs completed at the time of applying? If you have 3 pre-reqs left when application cycle opens in summer for example...

Members don't see this ad.

I think OSU requires a certain amount of their pre-reqs done prior to application. Check their website to confirm.

Reactions: 1 user
I imagine that if you can complete all your pre-reqs before dental school starts I don't think it should be an issue.. I guess it depends on how picky the school is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anybody ever heard of any schools which require that you have all or a certain number of pre-reqs completed at the time of applying? If you have 3 pre-reqs left when application cycle opens in summer for example...

So if it's only 3 pre-reqs, no don't stress it (unless a school has info on their site saying otherwise). I applied this summer without having taken physics 1 or 2, English, inorganic 2, and sociology. Some schools will email you once you are in the application cycle and ask you about prereqs, for example IU and Michigan: IU emailed me asking if I was planning on taking physics 2 (I said yes, and interviewed there), Michigan emails you a form to fill out online that's basically a checklist to make sure your prereqs are sufficient, I filled it out and just put that I planned to take sociology and English spring of 2017 should I get accepted and have to go there.

In short, just put the courses you need to take on the planned courses section in your AADSAS application. You'll get your interviews next fall and then they'll conditionally accept you upon your completion with a C or higher in those prereqs by time dental school starts the following fall.

So if it's only 3 pre-reqs, no don't stress it (unless a school has info on their site saying otherwise). I applied this summer without having taken physics 1 or 2, English, inorganic 2, and sociology. Some schools will email you once you are in the application cycle and ask you about prereqs, for example IU and Michigan: IU emailed me asking if I was planning on taking physics 2 (I said yes, and interviewed there), Michigan emails you a form to fill out online that's basically a checklist to make sure your prereqs are sufficient, I filled it out and just put that I planned to take sociology and English spring of 2017 should I get accepted and have to go there.

In short, just put the courses you need to take on the planned courses section in your AADSAS application. You'll get your interviews next fall and then they'll conditionally accept you upon your completion with a C or higher in those prereqs by time dental school starts the following fall.
thank you for the detailed explanation

thank you for the detailed explanation

Yep! Hope that helps, just finish up the prereqs in your senior year (assuming you're a junior if you're applying this upcoming cycling) and you'll be fine. Definitely look into each school before you apply though, it'll be a $150-200 mistake if they auto-reject you because you didn't take physics before applying.

Yep! Hope that helps, just finish up the prereqs in your senior year (assuming you're a junior if you're applying this upcoming cycling) and you'll be fine. Definitely look into each school before you apply though, it'll be a $150-200 mistake if they auto-reject you because you didn't take physics before applying.
i would have graduated by then but I was not a bio major so I did not have some requirements such as micro, anatomy, or physio

i'm planning on taking these extra courses at a CC, otherwise all the other basic pre-reqs are done