Pre-reqs durring Application Summer....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stversko

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If i do well on my mcat i will be submitting my grades by early june.

unfortunetly i have no taken my second course of the requred math courses yet. Many schools require a full year of math.

should i submit my application early, then send the supplemental math grade towards the end of the summer, or should i hold off sending my application until i finish the required course.

I know submitting an application in august can really hurt me, since a large percentage of applicants submit their application in early june.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same boat, except for I will have a BUNCH of unfinished pre-reqs by June 1st - gen chem II and orgo II for all schools, and then some other schools I'm applying to require biochem and psych.

I've decided that applying early is more important that sending those few grades, even though they have the potential to change my BCPM quite significantly....but not so much my cumulative, which is why I decided not to wait. If I get A/A- in all the pre-reqs, my BCPM will shoot from 3.4 to 3.6, but my cumulative will only change by 0.05. My cumulative is low, so I got the odds against me and applying late combined with being an international student can mean a death sentence for the cycle.

If I were you, I would send the application in as soon as possible and then send the math grade at the end of the summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Send it ASAP. It's not uncommon to apply to med school with one or two prereqs missing. Just update the AMCAS when you finish the course.

When you send in the summer course grades, does AMCAS revise your GPA or do you have to send the transcripts to each school individually? I have to take biochem (don't really have to, for some reason my premed advisor says I absolutely must take it this summer), and I won't get the grade until July.

On a different but related note, is it really necessary to take biochem? I graduated two years ago, already took the MCAT, and don't feel like ruining another summer taking this class. In fact, I have a chance to teach the MCAT this summer and I could really use the money. Couldn't I take biochem later if I'm admitted somewhere that requires it?

Please help. Thanks!

When you send in the summer course grades, does AMCAS revise your GPA or do you have to send the transcripts to each school individually? I have to take biochem (don't really have to, for some reason my premed advisor says I absolutely must take it this summer), and I won't get the grade until July.

On a different but related note, is it really necessary to take biochem? I graduated two years ago, already took the MCAT, and don't feel like ruining another summer taking this class. In fact, I have a chance to teach the MCAT this summer and I could really use the money. Couldn't I take biochem later if I'm admitted somewhere that requires it?

Please help. Thanks!

AMCAS will not revise your GPA after you've been finalized. From there, you just send your grades directly to the schools, but only if you choose. Many students have classes, some of them prereqs, in process by the time they submit AMCAS. You do put on your AMCAS your anticipated coursework, but it's not a big deal if you decide to change that.

Yes, you can plan on taking biochem later. If you don't want to take it now and it turns out you don't need it for any of your schools, it's no problem to drop it.

If i do well on my mcat i will be submitting my grades by early june.

unfortunetly i have no taken my second course of the requred math courses yet. Many schools require a full year of math.

should i submit my application early, then send the supplemental math grade towards the end of the summer, or should i hold off sending my application until i finish the required course.

I know submitting an application in august can really hurt me, since a large percentage of applicants submit their application in early june.

Any thoughts?

Don't delay sending in your applications; you only have to take your pre-reqs before you matriculate. I indicated last year on my AMCAS that I would be finishing one of my core pre-reqs (physics) (I think there's a "future coursework" button) and no one asked me about it at interviews, and I'm doing it now.

It's definitely not worth a late application for your math grade - and you're right that you can send it in when you have it if they want it.