Pre-reqs: Finish Spring of Graduation vs. Summer Before Starting?

Jan 12, 2010
Status
Pre-Optometry
As someone that is very frustrated by the impacted anatomy + lab classes at the CA community colleges (since my UC school doesn't even offer it. That frustration is a whoole other story), does anyone know which schools require all the prerequisites to be done before graduation from undergrad?

In other words, which schools will not allow summer school classes right before orientation, to count towards the application. I only ask because as a junior, I may need to find an anatomy + lab class next summer (right before the start of summer school) because it is a pre-req for my #1 choice school- SCCO and highly recommended at my other choices.

Thanks and I hope this post makes sense :]

Oct 4, 2009
Status
Pre-Optometry
I'm a student graduating this May and attending SCCO in the fall. For SCCO, I was told at interviews (and signed a contract stating) that I will have to fulfill all the prerequisites before orientation. From that I assume that they don't care if you take those classes the summer after graduation, so long as final grades and transcripts are sent to them by their specified date.
Hope that helps, and good luck with your anatomy class search!

NorthernStar13

OSU c/o 2014
Feb 8, 2010
Status
Optometry Student
Western requires you to fulfill all pre-reqs by the Spring semester before matriculation.

Schools that I know of that you can take summer classes (as long as they are completed prior to orientation): ICO, PUCO, OSU.

physicslover

7+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Optometry
im in the same boat. do u think its a bad idea to do calc, physics and orgo in one summer term :S:S

Commando303

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2009
Status
As long as the classes you take are complete courses in their fields (i.e., they aren't what are sometimes called "survey courses"), you ought to be fine taking them whenever you wish. If you're worried, you can always contact the admissions departments of the colleges in which you're interested.

NorthernStar13

OSU c/o 2014
Feb 8, 2010
Status
Optometry Student
im in the same boat. do u think its a bad idea to do calc, physics and orgo in one summer term :S:S
If you can handle all of that work, go for it. I personally would never take all three courses in a summer term. The fact that summer term is shorter makes it more difficult and fast-paced. Do you really want to jeopardize your GPA to squeeze all the classes in one term?

physicslover

7+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Optometry
If you can handle all of that work, go for it. I personally would never take all three courses in a summer term. The fact that summer term is shorter makes it more difficult and fast-paced. Do you really want to jeopardize your GPA to squeeze all the classes in one term?

im actually re-doing those courses. Im graduating this summer and I know I need to redo those courses so I thought it would be better to do it in the summer and get that over with and then find a job over the school year. Instead of finding a job this summer and then spending the whole school year re-doing those courses. But im afraid of the course load, ive never taken a summer course b4 so i dunno how its gonna be like. Im sure i can get excused from the labs since i completed them b4 so that will cut down on some time but still. what do you guys think i should do?

Jan 12, 2010
Status
Pre-Optometry
thank you to everyone that replied. ill be contacting the schools im interested in to get a direct answer from them, but i appreciate the replies :]

as someone who has taken summer school EVERY summer since the start of college (im a junior now..i took it to retake one class and the other times to get ahead) summer school is very intense. sure, there is only one class to focus on, but its jam-packed into 5 weeks (for me at least, bc im on the UC quarter system). i only took one class at a time (sometimes with lab) and i still couldn't wait for it to be over. haha

so my recommendation is to take just one class over summer and bust the other two during the school year part time and work part time. :]