Pre-reqs for med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elaine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am graduating from the texas academy of math and science where I did my last two years of high school. I will be joining UT austin in the Fall 2010. I am keen on the premed path. I was wondering if it is a good idea to take some of the pre-reqs this summer like OChem and Microbiology. Please give me your advice. Is it too early before taking the MCAt or should I take some other courses.I want to spread them out and do a lot of volunteer work as well as work, hence the headstart.
thanks a ton.

Members don't see this ad.

Enjoy your summer. You're still in HS. Go hang out on the HS SDN forums if you really can't stand to just get off and go outside. Seriously, go outside. You have time. This summer should be your last one as a kid. Go outside and play! Be a kid while you can! (Wait on ochem.)

No definitely not. You def don't want to take Orgo before you get adjusted to college. I would recommend taking chem before orgo.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you really want to get a head start, do some research on what resources you can utilize on and around campus. You have a lot of time to worry about med school and that little, oh-so-precious time to enjoy yourself. Trust me, right now is the best time of your life- you probably won't be this carefree if you end up premed. Just kidding, sort of. :rofl:

I admire your enthusiasm, but don't be too eager to fling yourself on the premed path without settling into college because in the coming four years of your undergrad, you'll discover your strengths, weaknesses, and your passion.

As for ochem, you really need a general chemistry background first.

Now go sow your wild oats!

I am graduating from the texas academy of math and science where I did my last two years of high school. I will be joining UT austin in the Fall 2010. I am keen on the premed path. I was wondering if it is a good idea to take some of the pre-reqs this summer like OChem and Microbiology. Please give me your advice. Is it too early before taking the MCAt or should I take some other courses.I want to spread them out and do a lot of volunteer work as well as work, hence the headstart.
thanks a ton.

Ok let me start of by telling you even if you have ap credit of chem 1 & 2. You should not take organic chemistry before your second year. Also this summer is the last one of your childhood. It is good to spend it relaxing. The mcat is a test which you shouldn't be worrying about until the summer of your second year.
Before I end this, I recommend you read this letter.
http://www-scf.usc.edu/~chem105a/FROSH.html
Enjoy college, its not a pitspot to medical school. :laugh:

Oh yah btw you don't have to major in science to go to medical school wahahahaha.

Enjoy your summer. Getting to campus this summer is a great idea. Take something easy and try to get laid as much as possible.

The curriculum isnt that much more difficult, you just have tons of free time and noone to tell you how to spend it. So schedule study time.

If I did it over I would major in philosophy.