Pre-reqs: Retake or not? Could not find an answer that applies to me.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

connerm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I hate to ask this already frequently asked question, but like all of you I have a unique set of circumstances that puts me in the position I'm in now. I am planning to take about a year/1.5 year full time courseload coming up here to get my uGPA and sGPA up prior to applying to some programs. I graduated with a BS in Biochemistry in 2008 and am in the process of figuring out what courses to take in my BCPM-heavy informal post-bacc.

I want to know if I should plan to retake any of the general science pre-reqs based off of my previous performance.

Gen Chem I/Lab: C/B
Gen Chem II/lab: C/B
Organic I/lab: B/B
Organic II/lab: C/B
bio 1 (honors): A
bio2 (honors): B
PHSX 1/lab (honors) C
PHSX 2/lab: A
MCAT (expired and will need to retake) 11/11/11

I was thinking that it might be wise to retake organic and gen chem. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with you, retake all Cs and ace them + new MCAT

I agree, retake the Chem because you didn't get it. If you got a C/B (whatever that is) in gen chem then biochem will destroy you; however, your MCAT is solid, so demonstrate you can smoke those subjects. Get A's, a better MCAT and go to medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys. And sorry for not specifying but C/B meant C in lecture, B in lab.

Premed advisor at my old institution said that I should take upper level science courses and that in itself would demonstrate content mastery.

I feel pretty confident with the subject material of all the basic prereqs despite those grades from 8 years ago as I went to grad school for biochemistry/biophysics and taught it for 3 of those years and have been doing research for 8. Gen. Chem and Physics 1 were both during freshman year when I was not the most academically focused.

The only ones I would really like to take again are the organic chem courses simply because those are pretty challenging, but since I got a B in Orgo 1 that is probably a no no.

Agree with above: retake all Cs, including physics 1. Get As. I would take upper level courses in addition to the retakes. Get As in those too.

You might also consider applying to a post-bacc program. But do keep in mind that some (for whatever reason) won't accept MCAT scores that you got before your acceptance to the program.