Pre-Reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mms2

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I'm a pre-optometry student planning on applying for optometry school for fall 2005. I received credit by examination for General BIO I and II for my bio major, and I took it. I heard not too long ago that optometry schools don't accept credit grades. Do I just take the classes anyhow, or can I sub other classes from my major for the general year in biology?

Also, is biochem lab required for most schools, or can we just take the lecture?

Please let me know and good luck to everybody as the testing season continues!

mms2:)

Members don't see this ad.

Having credit for classes not actually taken can be a sticky mess when applying to optometry school. If you can find no policy regarding the matter, you should call the Dean of Admissions and discuss you're situation. Often it will be handled on an individual basis. Better to know now than before it is too late to sign up for the courses, if need be.

I did not have to take a Biochem lab, only the lecture for UHCO.

Originally posted by mms2
I received credit by examination for General BIO I and II for my bio major, and I took it. I heard not too long ago that optometry schools don't accept credit grades. Do I just take the classes anyhow, or can I sub other classes from my major for the general year in biology?
My guess is that since you have more advanced biology credits beyond the examination credits for general bio, you'll be fine for the pre-reqs. I think the credit-by-examination exclusion is more of a problem for non-science majors. (Of course, be sure to check with the admissions offices of the schools you apply to. :) )

Good luck!!! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that when they ask for one year of biology, they don?t necessarily mean General Biology; I will not take general biology, but zoology, genetics, CVA, etc, should make up for that year of biology required by the schools. (I haven?t heard about any school requiring a Biochem lab either).

Hi mms2:

You can see a chart of school specific prerequisites requirements on the ASCO website:

http://www.opted.org/pdf/2002_enteringprofile.pdf

The profile is for the 2002 entering class, so be sure to check each school for the year you apply to see if any changes have been made.

If you are concerned about the classes you received credit on, I would also recommend contacting each school's admission office to speak with a counselor or advisor.

Best wishes,

Rosanna