Pre-requisite classes at community college. Already completed 4 year degree.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThunderBear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have a slightly unique issue, and I haven't been able to find a similar post/answer.

I got a degree in psychology, realized it wasn't a good fit for me, and switched to medicine. I took all of my pre-reqs at community college since this was all I could afford, and unlike the other posts I did not transfer to a 4 year college afterwards because I already had my degree.

On a lot of the secondaries I'm writing, they ask something along the lines of "Is there anything you would like to address about your application?"

Should I bring it up on my secondaries, or is it a non-issue? I'm not really sure what else I would put in those sections except maybe a lack of shadowing (but I do have clinical experience as an EMT).

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it will be an issue, as long as your MCAT score is good, showing your solid foundation in basic sciences. It's common sense for you to take classes at a CC after obtaining a bachelor degree. I took a few pre-reqs I was missing at a CC and didn't address it in my secondaries, it was never brought up in interviews or anything.

Thanks for the quick reply. My MCAT score was pretty good (34). And yah it seems like common sense that I would take my classes at Cc.

So unless the school specifically asks for a reason (Boston uni) then don't bother explaining?