Pre-requisite confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RKK

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering about the inorganic course that is a pre-requisite for the D.O. schools. Is that the same as general chemistry? I asked some med schools and they said it was, but I don't know what the D.O. schools say. Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, Inorganic Chemistry is the same as General Chemistry in ALL Universities and DO and MD Programs know this!

All the MDs and all the DO schools have essentially the same pre-req requirements.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some DO schools require behavioral science courses. i.e. WU/COMP, NJSOM...

[This message has been edited by DJ (edited 06-14-2000).]

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm from Canada, and over here, inorganic is a completely different class than gen chem, so I just wanted to be sure.

What??!!

I'm from Canada too and I have no idea what you are talking about??!!

Originally posted by RKK:
Thanks for the info everyone. I'm from Canada, and over here, inorganic is a completely different class than gen chem, so I just wanted to be sure.

RYSA,

Really? I go to the University of Windsor and in our 1st year we take gen chem and there's also a 2nd year course called Inorganic Chem (parts I and II) so my friend and I thought we had to take that class as a pre-req. What university are you at?

I never took anything called "inorganic." I took intro chem (1 semester for those with considerable chem background, otherwise you needed intros 1 and 2), orgo I&II, and "equilibrium and analysis" (essentially acid/base stuff), all with labs. My guess is that had I done the two-term intro, I wouldn't have had to take E&A. I had no problems, even though my school offered a course called "inorganic" -- essentially an advanced course -- and with our respiratory block coming up first thing for me this fall as I begin MS-II, I think I'll have my bases covered really well! The take home message: take intro, two orgos, and something else, be it E&A, intro II, "inorganic," or anything else that may qualify. The best folks to ask would be the premed advisory folks at your school.