pre-requisite courses taken at community college...how do medical schools look at it?

huzeifa52

10+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
Hi there.....I am an international student that did pretty much all my pre requisites in a community college....I will be transferring to a univerisity to get a BS in Biology.....am I going to be denied right of the bat....(since my pre reqs were done in comm. college..) or will medical school consider my application.....Lets say I have a good MCAT, references, and personal statement.....would I be a better candidate for carribean medical schools?.....

Also....are there any international students studying med in the US.....if you are a member of this network.....please tell me how hard it was for you to get in.....wat were your mcat scores, gpa, etc.....how are you handling the financial burden.....?

Thanks

Bubblehead-to-MD

Emergency Blow!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2006
Baltimore, MD
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
huzeifa52 said:
Hi there.....I am an international student that did pretty much all my pre requisites in a community college....I will be transferring to a univerisity to get a BS in Biology.....am I going to be denied right of the bat....(since my pre reqs were done in comm. college..) or will medical school consider my application.....Lets say I have a good MCAT, references, and personal statement.....would I be a better candidate for carribean medical schools?.....

I still need to take my Biology prereqs during the upcoming fall and spring semesters. I was considering taking them at the local community college, b/c their schedule seemed to work better for me than the university's. With this in mind, I contacted the schools in advance, to find out what their general thoughts on CC coursework were. The feedback I received was pretty much split down the middle...half didn't care and the other half stated that while they recommended taking courses at the university, they would still consider CC courses. Since you are planning on getting your BS in Biology, you will have the opportunity to demonstrate your abilities in a relevant field beyond the CC level, so you should be okay (i.e. get A's in BIO at the university level, and they won't question the validity of your CC coursework).

Hope this helps...good luck to you!

MrJordan

10+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I did all of my prerequisites through a community college (it was an extension school of a university, there was no application process and anyone off the street could take the classes). I'm not an international student, my MCATs were strong, my GPA at the extension school was great, but my undergrad GPA was fairly mediocre. My ECs were good, but not really medically relevant. All in all, the community college didn't seem to hurt me.

If taking the classes there makes sense to you, then you should be able to persuade anyone on an admissions committee that it was the right decision. You know better than anyone whether you choice to take your pre-reqs at a community college made sense in the context of your life. Between your personal statement, your secondaries, and your interviews, you'll have plenty of opportunities to explain yourself to admissions committees

akaz

10+ Year Member
May 10, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I agree. It depends if you are just gpa padding or not.

MrJordan said:
I did all of my prerequisites through a community college (it was an extension school of a university, there was no application process and anyone off the street could take the classes). I'm not an international student, my MCATs were strong, my GPA at the extension school was great, but my undergrad GPA was fairly mediocre. My ECs were good, but not really medically relevant. All in all, the community college didn't seem to hurt me.

If taking the classes there makes sense to you, then you should be able to persuade anyone on an admissions committee that it was the right decision. You know better than anyone whether you choice to take your pre-reqs at a community college made sense in the context of your life. Between your personal statement, your secondaries, and your interviews, you'll have plenty of opportunities to explain yourself to admissions committees

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.