Pre-requisite courses taken in Community College?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thetimegoeson

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see many posts here not to take pre-requisite courses in CC as med schools tend not to like them. (They will accept it, but prefer that pre-requisites be taken at 4-year institutions)
I was wondering how medical schools might view my situation.
So, when I first graduated from high school and went to a 4-year university, I didn't know what to do with my life and dropped out after a semester. After spending some time off, I enrolled in a local community college to figure out what I wanted to major in and do with my life. So I took classes in various fields such as BCPM, music, art, philosophy, etc.
During this process, I took a year's worth of biology, chemistry, physics, psychology, and sociology, which are basically pre-requisites for med school. I had no intentions of even applying to medical school back then but took the courses because it intrigued me and was fun. It was only after I transferred to a 4-year university that I decided to be a "pre-med" and prepare for medical school.
I consider myself to have a decent MCAT score and solid ECs, but suddenly got worried about this 'pre-req' issue.
So now, here I am, just wondering how schools will view me because intentional or not, I have taken a lot of pre-reqs at a CC.

Members don't see this ad.

I took all of my prerequisites at community college and have an acceptance, but I did it opposite of you as a non trad student. I took them well after graduation and decided the savings I would get at CC was to great to pass up considering I had to pay for other things like rent healthcare without a job car etc.

You may want to consider taking a few upper level science courses at your university
though if your prerequisites are a few years behind you. But in general I think there are a lot of even traditional premed students that take prerequisite courses at CC in their first 2 years to get them out of the way without issues.

Reactions: 1 users
Here is the definitive, absolute answer: it doesnt matter. These are the courses you have, the record you will apply with, and speculating on what might happen is waste of time. There is nothing you can do to change this so why worry about it. Move forward
That is true. Nothing I can do about past events. I just got worried because I've been hearing that the upcoming 2021-2022 admissions cycle is going to be extremely competitive, probably one of the most 'extreme' cycle from many people around me. But like you said, I guess I just have to move forward and see how things turn out. :) Thank you for your answer!

Members don't see this ad :)
I took all of my prerequisites at community college and have an acceptance, but I did it opposite of you as a non trad student. I took them well after graduation and decided the savings I would get at CC was to great to pass up considering I had to pay for other things like rent healthcare without a job car etc.

You may want to consider taking a few upper level science courses at your university
though if your prerequisites are a few years behind you. But in general I think there are a lot of even traditional premed students that take prerequisite courses at CC in their first 2 years to get them out of the way without issues.
I did take upper-level science courses after transferring, so I guess I should be fine. It is very reassuring to see your example. Congratulations on your acceptance and hope you enjoy your med school life!

Reactions: 1 user
You can look at the MSAR as well as school websites to see if they accept CC classes. Anecdotally, I took a few of my pre-reqs at a CC and have had a successful cycle so far.

Reactions: 1 user