PonderingChoice

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2008
Status
Pharmacy Student
Hi, just curious when pre-requisites typically expire for most schools, since I began taking General Chemistry in Fall of 2003. I know I could do some research, but posting here for a general vibe is easier than checking/e-mailing multiple schools. I'm hoping it's typically after 9 years for most schools, right?

Passion4Sci

LML
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
Status
Pharmacy Student
The preponderance of schools in California accept pre-requisites up to 5 years after they were completed. I'd honestly be really surprised if schools would take pre-requisites that are 9 years old. I graduated with my last bachelor's degree in 2004 and I hardly remember anything from it, and that was only 5 years ago.

OP
P

PonderingChoice

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2008
Status
Pharmacy Student
Right, but that means someone has a year or two (depending on how you count it) after graduating with a B.S. before their pre-requisites start to expire. I am pretty sure there are some schools which accept pre-requisites up to 9 years old, I suppose the question is how many. :p Time to send out a few e-mails.

Last edited:

UBCmicrobi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2007
Vancouver
Status
Pharmacy Student
Some of my first year pre-reqs were from waay back in the day, like '01-02 for biology and English (and I used these pre-reqs for the 08-09 application cycle).

sungieality

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2008
Status
Pharmacy Student
Schools vary in terms of prereq expiration, so you should just ask them. I know that UCSF for example, accepts prereqs regardless of how old they were (Joel said they had an applicant whose transcripts dated to the 1970's).

Jul 22, 2009
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I would call up the programs that you are thinking about applying too. Generally the Math/Science credits will expire sooner (maybe 2-5 years), but I have heard of general courses (English, Econ) being good for 10 years.

NaOH

IT'S PAAFEKTO!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2009
the garden where solutions are found
Status
Pharmacist
At UAMS at least, the cutoff is (currently) 10 years for science classes... they didn't mention any time limit for other prerequisites. I will say, though, that I talked to them several months ago, and it was mentioned that they were going to be looking at that limit over the summer, with the likely result that it would be lowered, I don't know how much. The lady I spoke with said that even with the current 10 year cap, that it was rare to see successful applicants with grades that old - either too much had changed, or more likely they were just too rusty.

Jul 15, 2009
Orange County
Status
Pharmacy Student
It depends on the school and the course. Most science classes at CA schools will expire as a pre-req after 5 years. This is, of course, a generalization.

charfdorn

10+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2009
Denver, CO
Status
Pharmacy Student
Hi, just curious when pre-requisites typically expire for most schools, since I began taking General Chemistry in Fall of 2003. I know I could do some research, but posting here for a general vibe is easier than checking/e-mailing multiple schools. I'm hoping it's typically after 9 years for most schools, right?
Call the school. For another perspective, let me say that both Denver-area schools (CU and Regis) have a 7-year expiration for science and math classes with no expiration for other courses. That's also flexible, depending on how well you can demonstrate your proficiency. I took Calc in the Spring of 2001 and got accepted for the Fall of 2009, which is not seven years by any math. I took calc-based Physics to show I still knew the material, but I don't even know if they noticed that.

OP
P

PonderingChoice

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2008
Status
Pharmacy Student
Thanks for the comments, it's good to hear they might be flexible. I'm hoping that a good PCAT score in the area might be sufficient if the time limit is 5 years at a desired school.

stkyrice

mmm....bacon.
10+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2007
San Francisco (NOT Frisco, NOT San Fran) :)
Status
Pharmacy Student
Depends on the school. At UCSF, they took my general chem and physics classes when I took them 1991-92 and 92-93 respectively, and generally, there is no expiration, though it is highly preferable that you retake courses where you did poorly.

For Hawai'i-Hilo, they just counted from the last 10 years unless you could prove exceptions. I had taken the majority of the prereqs over again from the past 4 years, so they didn't have problems accepting my general chem from 91-92.