Pre-requisites for Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dan95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In The Fall of 2014 i began college (freshman). I took Bio 1 and I got an F (which it converted itself into a No Credit). Then, In the spring of 2015, I took Chemistry and I got a B. The lab is separate and I most likely will get a an A or A- (worst case scenario a B+). Do you guys still think I have a shot at becoming a dentist even though I got an NC in Bio 1 and I got a B in Gen Chem 1 which is kind of low. I plan on applying to NYU Columbia Stony Brook and Buffalo Dental Schools. Also do dental schools look at trends in terms of GPA and your science GPA? Like do they look at upward trends?

Members don't see this ad.

WELP,
You definitely made it harder for yourself, getting an F really just DROPS the GPA. I think even if you got an A in every class for the rest of your life, and have that F, I believe it knocks your GPA down to like 3.87 with that 1 F.

However, I have seen many people get F's and get into dental school, your just gonna have to do better and aim for A and minimum a B+ in the rest of your courses, which is honestly not that difficult. Also if you maintain an A to B+ average and get good DAT scores you should be fine. Just know not to do this bad again, this should really motivate you. Im sure any school likes an upward trend, but the dilemma is some schools look at it while others do not.

Plus this is your freshmen year so pick it up DAN95.

@OSUkid in the fall of 2015 I will be a sophomore. Do you think a B is low in gen Chem 1?

Members don't see this ad :)
@OSUkid by the way since I took the bio 1 course as a freshman they converted it into a No Credit (NC) which basically when I apply to Columbia Stony Brook NYU Buffalo they will view it as an F.

i believe you want someone to tell you it's okay, but we don't know how the rest of your grades look, your EC activities, your test scores, your circumstances, etc. It is up to you to decide if that will really stand against your competition. I would say retake and don't slip up again in your other classes or you'll face a dead end in a really competitive field.

@OSUkid in the fall of 2015 I will be a sophomore. Do you think a B is low in gen Chem 1?
@OSUkid by the way since I took the bio 1 course as a freshman they converted it into a No Credit (NC) which basically when I apply to Columbia Stony Brook NYU Buffalo they will view it as an F.

a B grade is a 3.0 GPA. The F is going to drop your GPA from a 4.0 to a 3.87 even if you got all A's.
Also in my school gen chem is a weed out course so many freshmen believe it or not get C's in it but then end up getting A's in organic chem. So If you just do better and aim for a majority of your credits with A or A-, and then maybe save 20-30 credits to get a B+ as backup safety vault lol, and do good on DAT you should be fine. So lets say you got an F and a B from what I know.

Biology is usually 4 credits times 1 F. Then chem is 5 credits times 1 B. Now lets say you get A in 60 credits. A- in 30 credits. Then B+ in 25 credit , equating to rougly 120 credits the norm for graduation then you will have about a 3.68-3.7 GPA.
use this site to play with your numbers: http://www.back2college.com/gpa.htm
So you still have a good chance mate.

P.S. We all mess up I got a bad grade in an easy class because first semester of freshmen year but now I aim for All A's and get them. So your fine just do much better. Every semester I used that site to predict what I would get to know what my GPA would be, and I usually do better than my predictions because I get an A in the end.

You can easily get a 3.6 GPA, and even minimum of like a 3.5 GPA if your bit unlucky and do good on DAT scores, you should be good. Just remember work harder and aim for perfection rather than an A.Thus, you will get the A.

@OSUkid By the way I got an A in the lab. At my college the lecture and the lab are separate (Lecture 4 Credits and Lab 1 Credit)

@OSUkid By the way I got an A in the lab. At my college the lecture and the lab are separate (Lecture 4 Credits and Lab 1 Credit)

A in 1 credit course is meaningless when you accumulate 120+ credits over the 4 years. You screwed up your freshman year and you will have to retake and get A in that bio class. If you can get mostly As from now on, you can salvage your GPA, but if you screw up again next year, you will most likely have to do postbac, smp, or masters and ace all your classes for the hope of getting in dental school.

@OSUkid @I want to go to there By the way, also in my freshman year I took Calculus 1 with Bio 105. I got a C in that class. Do you recommend I retake that class or should I just take Calc 2 and do better? I know this also hurts my chances of getting into dental schools such as NYU Columbia Stony Brook Buffalo. Also another math that I have to take is Psych Statistics.

@OSUkid @I want to go to there By the way, also in my freshman year I took Calculus 1 with Bio 105. I got a C in that class. Do you recommend I retake that class or should I just take Calc 2 and do better? I know this also hurts my chances of getting into dental schools such as NYU Columbia Stony Brook Buffalo. Also another math that I have to take is Psych Statistics.

Dude, it doesn't matter what you do from here. If you don't start getting mostly As from now on, you can say your goal of being a dentist good bye. Retake if you need to later on, if you don't drastically change how you do in school, retakes are meaningless anyway.