Pre-Residency Ophthalmology Fellowship offering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OIUF-MERSI

Reaction score
Dear applicant,

Happy New Year! Congratulations to those of you who have successfully matched into an ophthalmology residency position. For those who were not so fortunate, I sympathize with your difficult situation. If you are still interested in ophthalmology and are considering re-applying for the 2020-2021 application cycle, you should strongly consider applying for the Ocular Immunology and Uveitis Foundation’s (OUIF) pre-residency research fellowship at the Massachusetts Eye Research and Surgery Institution (MERSI), which has a long track-record of matching fellows into ophthalmology programs.

The OIUF pre-residency research position is a one-year, fully funded fellowship in ocular immunology/uveitis at MERSI in Waltham, MA, a private-practice tertiary care clinic located a few miles outside of Boston. Fellows work daily in the clinic of Dr. C. Stephen Foster, a world-renowned expert and pioneer in the treatment and management of ocular inflammatory disorders.

The fellowship provides comprehensive training in the evaluation and management of patients with all forms of ocular inflammatory disease. In addition to participating in a daily robust clinic with patients from all over the world, research fellows also participate in active research projects. These research projects are based on personal interests and may include participation in MERSI’s ongoing clinical trials, basic science projects in a fully equipped laboratory, and a variety of clinical topics. There are ample opportunities to publish your original work in recognized journals.

The fellowship program includes a strong didactic lecture series with invited experts across multiple disciplines. Additional learning opportunities are offered through monthly journal club and case conference meetings.

The pre-residency research fellowship has a strong history of matching its fellows into ophthalmology programs. Over the last 3 years, OIUF has successfully matched an IMG, osteopathic (DO) and allopathic (MD) fellow into ophthalmology residency.

If you are interested in the pre-residency position, please send a resume/CV and cover letter with 3 letters of reference (you may also forward your CAS application, if available) to Scott Evans at [email protected].

Best of luck to all of you. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact OIUF, MERSI, or Scott Evans.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I am an ex-OIUF/MERSI pre-residency fellow who matched into an ophthalmology residency in 2018. I am now halfway through my first year of ophthalmology residency. I can say without a doubt, that my experience at OIUF-MERSI was extremely valuable and played a significant role in my successful residency match.

Everything stated in the above post is true and I am only one of the example cases.
As a fellow you will:
- attend conferences and meet ophthalmologists from all over the USA (and the world)
- learn how to evaluate and manage patients in a very busy clinic - patients show up with ALL flavors of common and rare ocular conditions - not only uveitis
- publish articles and even carry out your own laboratory experiments, if you elect to go that route

The pre-residency uveitis research fellowship at Ocular Immunology and Uveitis Foundation-MERSI is an excellent opportunity to become a better doctor and in turn, a better SF Match applicant.

I am very grateful for my year working and studying as a pre-residency fellow at OIUF-MERSI. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me via SDN.

Last edited:
I have completed my research fellowship in MERSI in 2019 and that made me match into an ophthalmology residency. For me as an IMG this is a fantastic success.

It is without reservation that I can say MERSI is the best place in the US to fill the gap that is experienced by every foreigner trying to get into the field of ophthalmology in the US.

You will see the US ophthalmology from inside in one of the best practices. What makes MERSI special is that you will see all sorts of cases there from simple to the most difficult and rare diseases. Patients from all over the country and abroad are referred by doctors from small and large hospitals to MERSI. MERSI uses well know and its own unique treatment methods. You will have an opportunity to see these methods and do all kinds of related studies.

MERSI and its team is a well know name in the US ophthalmology and by joining MERSI you are associating yourself with this big name thorough the invaluable knowledge, experience and connections. The fellowship there will not only make you a better doctor, but also be a strong step towards successful match.