Pre-student, nontraditional. Should I even try?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ijparish

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! My name is Ian, and I'm new to the forums. I am currently in the US Marine Corps and am seriously considering a career in medicine. This is something I have always wanted to do, but in high school was very unmotivated and, let's face it - lazy. During my time in the Marine Corps, I have grown up and am very excited to get out and attend school. My question, however, is how far are medical schools willing to push the "nontraditional" envelope?

I don't anticipate GPA being too much of an issue for me, as I have always been a fairly intelligent person, was just lacking the motivation in high school. I am 23 and married, with currently no medical or research background. Do I still have a chance, assuming I do well in college and get in my volunteer and research hours?

Also, how does one be a successful full-time student and still have the means to pay bills and tuition? I will have the GI Bill to assist me, but I'm wondering if that will be enough.

I understand many of these questions are probably difficult to answer, but any assistance here would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I know some internal medicine residents in thier forties. Its about balancing things man. If your spouse is supportive and the fact that you are a vet( thanks btw) helps as well. School is expensive but i know another guy who was in the army, ran his own business from when his term ended and now he is in school. Just work hard stay focused and make the sacrifices necessary. In the end you will be happy you did. If your desire is truly that big, not trying will bother you like an itch where the sun doesn't shine. Go for it brotha!

Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it. :) Does being a vet really have an effect on your application?

Members don't see this ad :)
It can only help. Vets are supposed to have good moral character etc and there is a whole sector if medicine with VAffairs :p plus good exp with teamwork and stuff.

Does being a vet really have an effect on your application?
Military service is generally considered to be an altuistic activity that serves society. One generally gains leadership experience as well that strengthens an application. The added years to develop maturity also helps. You are at no disadvantage due to having greater years than a more traditional applicant.

When you return to academic waters, take it slowly at first and build your confidence as you learn the study skills necessary to excel and keep your GPA high. Don't necessarily rush into ECs at first; you're already ahead of the game considering the factors mentioned in paragraph #1.