Pre-studying before med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted877060

Hi,
I have a few MD acceptances this cycle but am still waiting on the majority of my interview results, which come out in March. The wait has been killing me, so I am looking for suggestions as to what I can do to prepare for med school. Is there any studying I can start now? How are applicants keeping busy at this time? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I have a few MD acceptances this cycle but am still waiting on the majority of my interview results, which come out in March. The wait has been killing me, so I am looking for suggestions as to what I can do to prepare for med school. Is there any studying I can start now? How are applicants keeping busy at this time? Thanks.
You'll get a mix of opinions here. But my advice would be to not pre-study. Anything you try to learn now will be without context and any details are likely to be forgotten. Medical school is designed so that even non-science majors can succeed and do well.

These next several months will be the last real break that you will have for next few years. So spend time and create new memories with loved ones, pick up a new hobby, explore the outdoors, learn to cook quick and nutritious meals, take up baking, pick up conversational Spanish, etc. Do things that will reinvigorate you, and help you get through the incoming grind. If things open up enough before school starts, consider more shadowing in fields that you have not been exposed to. This is something I wish I did more of as a medical student.

If you've exhausted all of these options and *really* need to do something academic and are already set on a school, start networking with potential research mentors and get acquainted with their field. This can help with getting a project running and setting you up for success down the road with residency matching. But this is still lower in priority than the things I mentioned above. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
You'll get a mix of opinions here. But my advice would be to not pre-study. Anything you try to learn now will be without context and any details are likely to be forgotten. Medical school is designed so that even non-science majors can succeed and do well.

These next several months will be the last real break that you will have for next few years. So spend time and create new memories with loved ones, pick up a new hobby, explore the outdoors, learn to cook quick and nutritious meals, take up baking, pick up conversational Spanish, etc. Do things that will reinvigorate you, and help you get through the incoming grind. If things open up enough before school starts, consider more shadowing in fields that you have not been exposed to. This is something I wish I did more of as a medical student.

If you've exhausted all of these options and *really* need to do something academic and are already set on a school, start networking with potential research mentors and get acquainted with their field. This can help with getting a project running and setting you up for success down the road with residency matching. But this is still lower in priority than the things I mentioned above. Just my thoughts.
Thank you, I've been just stressing about the results of my interviews in my free time. I will try to focus on those productive recommendations. Appreciate it. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
While most will say not to pre-study, if you're going to do anything, start going through Sketchy Micro or read "How the Immune System Works." Those are two things that I think could actually be beneficial and not super cumbersome to do right now in the interim and yeah it would still count as pre-studying but it would at least be helpful for you down the line. Other than that, like others have said and will say, enjoy your time off. Once you start med school, it's just a constant grind and you don't get the kind of break you have right now. Congrats and best of luck on your journey towards getting that MD!

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, just stopped by to say; DO NOT PRE-STUDY.

Its seriously not worth it. Find things you enjoy to keep your mind occupied during this time.

Not a med student, but I heard that pre-studying might actually hurt in the long run. Since you're going to really prepared going in for the first semester or year from your pre-studying. But then, the next semester/year, you won't have that crutch and it might feel harder.

Don’t do it, waste of time. Burn out is very real.

Reactions: 1 user