Pre-studying for 1st semester med classes...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Corker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of you will probably say I should travel, relax, etc. the summer before I start med school, but I am not looking for that type of advice in this thread. What I really want to know is if it is acceptable to begin studying the first semester material (by purchasing the book or asking for the syllabus early) before school actually begins. Would a school consider this unethical?

From a non-trad's point of view, this would be a big help in overcoming that "fire hose" feeling at the start of the first semester. Anyone know if others have done this in the past?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I know a lot of you will probably say I should travel, relax, etc. the summer before I start med school, but I am not looking for that type of advice in this thread. What I really want to know is if it is acceptable to begin studying the first semester material (by purchasing the book or asking for the syllabus early) before school actually begins. Would a school consider this unethical?

From a non-trad's point of view, this would be a big help in overcoming that "fire hose" feeling at the start of the first semester. Anyone know if others have done this in the past?:confused:

honestly... I'm not sure it's "unethical" but I doubt anyone would give you the syllabus ahead of time. Most of the time those things are updated only a short time before the class stars.

If you want to get a book to study go ahead... but like you said. you know what type of advice you're going to get in this thread. There isn't a huge advantage to studying early... if any at all.

you may have significant trouble getting a hold of the syllabus particularly early - it may still be off at the printer until right before school starts. also, this is provided by the school - your classmates may view it as an unfair advantage for you to be given this material ahead of time. however no one can stop you buying a review book or a textbook.

Both comments are helpful. Thank you for sticking to my question. You're probably right about the syllabi, and I certainly don't want an unfair advantage over other students. I know some schools provide a summer "review" course for non-trads, but I'm not sure exactly how helpful this would be. I thought it would be more pertinent to study the EXACT material I need to master in med school. Thanks for the advice, anyway. I'll probably be toughing it out with all my other first-year classmates....I can't wait to get started!!! I'm very excited!!!:D:D:D