brownsdawg

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2004
Visit site
Status
I'm on my surgery rotation and I was told by some 4th years that Pre-Test surgery has alot of mistakes in it. Is this true? I have the 9th edition and just started doing questions...

SurgeryChef

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2006
Status
Medical Student
brownsdawg said:
I'm on my surgery rotation and I was told by some 4th years that Pre-Test surgery has alot of mistakes in it. Is this true? I have the 9th edition and just started doing questions...
Yeah that book is bad. There are blatent flaming errors all over the place. I'm sure you'll be able to figure them out when you come across them. But for what it's worth that book isn't great for studying for the shelf. It's almost all IM questions.

Zuwie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2004
Status
That's funny because I happen to know the author of the PreTest, Norman J. Snow. He is the surgery clerkship director at our school (UIC) and is a very strict guy. He is an old guy and has an "old school" attitude. He told us during orientation last year that if we use "shortcuts" to study for the shelf, we are going to kill our patients eventually.

About the Ads

SurgeryChef

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Zuwie said:
That's funny because I happen to know the author of the PreTest, Norman J. Snow. He is the surgery clerkship director at our school (UIC) and is a very strict guy. He is an old guy and has an "old school" attitude. He told us during orientation last year that if we use "shortcuts" to study for the shelf, we are going to kill our patients eventually.
Then he needs to buy himself a new editor!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

DoctorDoogie4

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 13, 2002
Visit site
Status
I second the earlier comment on Pre Test for Surgery. I didn't find it helpful for surgery at all. I foudn Case Files for Surgery in conjunction with NMS Surgery to be solid. Furthermore, I believe having SUrgery Recall in your pockets for those quick read overs during your down time.

JayZee

drzeedo
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2003
Texas
hsc.unt.edu
Status
Resident [Any Field]
we have 3 different editions (9th, 10th, 11th) owned in our class...I've discovered that the 11th ed is causing most of the problems....they change the answer choices but keep the answer key the same!!!

I personally own the 10th and haven't found too many errors, yet....

About the Ads