Pre-Vet, Single mom, long distance college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreVetMomma

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I wanted to get some thoughts/opinions on my current situation. I am halfway through my pre-vet bachelors, and will be applying to vet school for fall of 2017. The only college in my area offering a DMV degree is 6 hours from where we live (his dad who he sees regularly also lives in the area). So we would have to pick up everything and move when he is 8 years old until roughly 12 years old in order for me to achieve this degree. Now not only will I have to juggle school, (work if I can) and my son, but now I'll have to figure out how to schedule time in with his dad who will be staying 6hrs away for the next 4 years. Has anyone else done this or have any input on my situation? Is it even doable?

Thank you for your comments!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I wanted to get some thoughts/opinions on my current situation. I am halfway through my pre-vet bachelors, and will be applying to vet school for fall of 2017. The only college in my area offering a DMV degree is 6 hours from where we live (his dad who he sees regularly also lives in the area). So we would have to pick up everything and move when he is 8 years old until roughly 12 years old in order for me to achieve this degree. Now not only will I have to juggle school, (work if I can) and my son, but now I'll have to figure out how to schedule time in with his dad who will be staying 6hrs away for the next 4 years. Has anyone else done this or have any input on my situation? Is it even doable?

Thank you for your comments!! :)
i have a classmate who moved to GRENADA with various children throughout the various years. some of the semesters they stayed in the US with their dad, but she had at least one kid (ages 12-16 with another in college) each semester in the school system there. so yes it's definitely doable, just maybe a few more hurdles and hoops :) another classmate brought her 17yo down during our last semester because he needed more supervision (i dont know what he was doing prior to the move though)

I'm not a parent, but this seems like a really difficult situation to me. You'll be at school 8-10 hours a day on average, and I've had days where I've been at school upwards of 12 hours because of group projects or extra labs or whatever. If you're planning on working too, that's even more time away from home. Assuming your son is not old/mature enough to stay at home alone for long periods of time (I know I wasn't allowed to at 8 years old) you would need a babysitter, so you'll have to consider whether that will be financially feasible for your situation. You would probably only be able to work part time. There are some extremely dedicated veterinary students who manage to work full time while in school, but it is incredibly difficult and I imagine it would be near impossible to do that as a single parent. As for being six hours away from the dad, that might not be too bad depending on how frequently your son will be visiting. If you can get the dad to meet you halfway that would certainly cut down on your driving time, or maybe you could take turns with who drives him, and you could always record your lectures to listen to in the car so you're not completely losing out on 6-12 hours of study time.

Not saying it can't be done, just that it will be challenging. If you're willing to share which school you're looking at, there are probably members here who could give you more detailed information about what your schedule and such will be like.

Members don't see this ad :)
If the campus you're looking at has an elementary education program or anything similar, it is very possible they already have on-campus childcare/schooling. I know several institutions that have these programs and facilities, and I believe they allow their education seniors to teach or participate somehow. I am not a vet student yet, so I can't tell you about your day-to-day. But Blackdog's post is consistent with what most people will tell you! Vet school IS your full-time.

Edit: I can't give you much advice regarding your child's father, as I am not a parent and feel foolish advising you there. Also, if there are legal limitations on the situation, you might have more issues to deal with as well.

I also have a son (he is 4) if I dont get in my IS school I will have to move aswell, but you can do it. It will not be easy at all but you can do it. I am still in pre reqs