Pre-vet student after getting non-science bachelor's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ohtheplaces

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a specific question about what to do about those 4 upper division courses I'll need to apply to vet school. I have finished the bio, chem, and physics sequences but don't want to get a second bachelor's degree (my first one was in social science). How do I go about getting those four classes at a 4-year without enrolling in a second bachelor's?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a specific question about what to do about those 4 upper division courses I'll need to apply to vet school. I have finished the bio, chem, and physics sequences but don't want to get a second bachelor's degree (my first one was in social science). How do I go about getting those four classes at a 4-year without enrolling in a second bachelor's?
Many schools allow students to take classes as "non degree" students. Look at your local university website for more info, as it will vary immensely by location.

Apply as a non-degree seeking student. You can take what you want, earn grades, and then leave. It can be expensive depending on where you are though, since you pay by the credit.

Members don't see this ad :)
I enrolled in a second bachelor’s program so I would get priority registration (I’m classified as a senior since I have so many credits) and it’s less expensive than taking the classes as a non-degree seeking student. I had to go through the process of meeting with my academic advisor and all that jazz but luckily she’s super nice and totally on the same page about me not actually getting a second degree. I also was able to apply for financial aid that way, though I didn’t qualify because my income + my husband’s is too high.

thanks everyone. EngrSC, i was thinking of doing just that, except uc davis will not allow me to apply if i have an uncompleted bachelor's at a uc college. to apply as a non-degree seeking student then, it would be this fall i could start classes, is it the traditional application or just simply showing up on the first day of class and seeing if there is an empty spot? that's what someone said when i called uc irvine to ask. i know that many people have gone this route but it's been difficult finding them haha.

thanks everyone. EngrSC, i was thinking of doing just that, except uc davis will not allow me to apply if i have an uncompleted bachelor's at a uc college. to apply as a non-degree seeking student then, it would be this fall i could start classes, is it the traditional application or just simply showing up on the first day of class and seeing if there is an empty spot? that's what someone said when i called uc irvine to ask. i know that many people have gone this route but it's been difficult finding them haha.

I had to fill out a short application and wait for the registrar's office to give me the official go-ahead before I could register for my class. It sounds really odd to just show up and ask, so maybe check with a professor teaching a class you need and confirm that's how it works?