pre-vet to pre-med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Valerie13

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was always planning of applying to vet school but now I am sitting on the fence between human medicine and veterinary medicine. The problem is, all of my medical experience is related to veterinary medicine. I have volunteered at the humane society, at a wildlife rehabilitation centre, have volunteered/worked at two animal hospital, and volunteered at a a therapeutic horse riding centre for kids with cerebral palsy. Also, I am planning on asking vets to be two of my recommendations...

I don't know what my exact gpa is (I am canadian and my school doesn't use that scale) but my average is a low 90. I have yet to take the MCAT.

So, what do you think about my situation? Should I bother applying to med school considering my extra curriculars?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you applied to vet school? Were you rejected? Is med school your backup? Why the big switch?

I haven't applied to either yet.

The situation is, I am in Ontario, Canada and there is only one vet school in Canada that I can apply to because each province caters to their own residences. I can apply to vet schools in the states, but would not be able to go considering how expensive it would be for me in American dollars. So I am considering applying to med school while I apply to vet school, and then see what happens. Basically, human medicine would be an alternative to vet med, not necessairily a back-up. I am interested in specializing in veterinary pathology, and if I were to go through med school I would specialize in pathology as well. As well, in both cases I am interested in research. Since pathology has many applications that incorporate both human research and animal research, especially now with mad cow disease and west nile, I think both the med school and vet school route would bring me to the same end.

Any suggestions????

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in a very similar situation. I spent all my undergrad years doing veterinary stuff, then I graduated and decided to do med school. I just liked the medicine with people alot better. I was afraid with all of my activities, but I figure I will be a different sort of applicant. I did volunteer quite a bit in high school but I cant really put that in applications. I think if you explain your situation in your personal statement they will understand--as long as you have some sort of understanding of what human medicine is like.

Valerie13,

Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I think you have great EC's that should be included and talked about in your personal statement. The fact that you have a lot of vet experience is great and it shows you have compassion, perseverence, and patience--three necessary attributes of either profession. I would be prepared to answer the inevitable question med schools will ask--why not vet school?

Good luck!