Pre-Vet/Vet Forum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GregiG

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I know almost everyone here wants to be a doctor, but I think there are still a number of undecided people here. For many, an alternative to medicine is Veterinary School and want to learn more about that. How about a new forum about Pre-Vet and/or Vet School? Maybe in the Allied Professions? Post here to support the idea!!!!!! (I know that if enough people agree, the administrators will make it. At least that's what happened with MSTP MD/PhD)

Members don't see this ad.

I too wondered why this forum had not been established. I think animal health is very important and a wonderful career choice. I admire those who choose the career.

Alicia

Yes! I support a pre-vet and vet forum!

Vets have to go through a four-year program as well, and I heard that it's very competitive because of the limited number of schools, as well as the lucrative careers that vets can have.

Also, I would think that the specials on Animal Planet about vet medicine have caused a spike in interest.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think its a great idea! If I would have been interested in vet school I wouldn't have known where to begin. My dogs Bogus and Bandit vote yes too! (So that's 3 if the administrators want to keep count :wink: )

Hi everyone,

Even though I will be going to med school and not vet school this Fall, I very much support vets and a pre-vet and vet forum!

My two cats, Argon and Uranium also have the following to say: two paws up for the forum!

BTW, I can't wait to test my stethoscope on my two cats! That will be fun! Are there special stethoscopes for felines?

Chnobli
:D

Please tally the votes of my dogs, Daisy and Neimus...oops, I almost forgot my African Grey Parrot, Dosequis, for he would also like his vote counted :D

My Rottweiler, Nesta, and my cat, Benny, would also like to be yeasayers for a pre-vet/vet forum. Seriously, I'm sure that those interested in veterinary medicine would benefit from a forum much like we all have. Very good idea.

I think thats an awesome idea.
I support the idea of a pre-vet and vet forum!

Eduardo :D

Yay! I totally support this idea :)

I am really surprised there isn't one. I might go to Vet School AFTER medical school just for fun :)

For the past two days I have been searching the web for this and only got dead ends. Please add this new forum! In the mean time if anyone has any links that work let me know.
Thanks!
Beck

Strangely enough, I knew more about vet school admissions than med school admissions when I applied. I think I was pre-vet longer than I was pre-med, but I forget. But I do think that having a pre-vet forum is a good idea. I remember the only way I had to get info on it was by word of mouth from the vet students at the clinic I worked at, and they were only there on some school breaks. The 'advisor' at my school was kind of an idiot.

It's an excellent idea!!!
In the class I teach (O chem lab), typically about a third of my students are pre-med, another third are pre-vet, and the last third are "all others."

For all intents and purposes, getting into vet school is JUST AS COMPETITIVE as getting into med school, but there is much less information about it available on-line. Setting up a forum here would be great!

great idea! when i thought i wasn't going to get into med school this year, i was seriously considering vet school as an option, but couldn't find much information on it either. and my two labrador retrievers... well, actually they couldn't care less - they're outside chasing squirrels and eating grass. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
On behalf of my kitties Hugo and Levi, I also say YEA to this idea! Vets are awesome! :D

This is a great idea!

I was almost pre-vet until I heard you need at least a 3.8 to apply because it's soooo competitve. :( My doggie votes yes too!

Who's gonna email Lee Burnett for this? I've annoyed him enough lately. :p

On behalf of Ozzie, my cat who needed an emergency vet trip yesterday, yay to vets!

Oh, and he has a question: is the up-the-butt thermometer really necessary?!?

It would be beneficial to have a pre-veterinary forum. I graduated pre-veterinary but decided to go into medical school instead, so I understand the rigours involved. It's more difficult to get into veterinary school than medical school, and any help vet students and/or graduates can offer to prospective students would be wonderful!

P.S. Don't forget to take the VCAT and apply to VMCAS early...I know CSU doesn't take the GRE and GRE biology sections anymore..FYI

I am all for a pre vet forum as well. There needs to be more information available to those who are interested in veterinary school. I considered veterinary school but never really volunteered at a shelter or anything of that sort. I just know I love my dogs and love animals in general. So hopefully SDN starts this forum for those up and coming vets soon.

I have also wondered why there was no forum. It would have been nice to have this available when I was applying to Veterinary School. On a different note, I am also happy to see that medical students think highly of the veterinary profession. I attend UCD and we take classes in the same complex of classrooms as the Med students do. Many of my classmates have gotten the impression that the Med students think that they are better than us... I don't know if this is true. Anyways good luck with the forum.

-UCD Vet Med '03

Hey Hopkins,

Did you get into UCD on WICHE, or are you a Cali resident? The reason that I ask is that everyone I know who went to veterinary school from Arizona on WICHE had an extremely tough time getting into Davis. Most of them ended up at CSU. In fact, I just went to the '02 CSU graduation to see my good friend get her DVM.

eagle26

I am a California resident. I did my undergrad at UCD too. My class has a lot of students from other states, but quite a few of them moved to CA and worked for a year to gain CA residency, and then applied. I don't know how many WHICHE students we take but I think that it is low (less than 5?). I am supprised that AZ people go to CSU. From what I heard you can't gain residency in CO while in school and you have to keep paying out of state fee's. I could be wrong. Oh, just to let you know Western U in So Cal will be starting up a Vet School either for fall of 2003 or 2004. It maybe another option. If you have questions feel free to email me at-
[email protected]

I also support the vet forum. I think it's very hard to find out about vet school, there isn't even one in my state. My cats Ginger, Jonas, and Maya agree that we need more vets out there, too. :D

I passed on the interest in the pre-vet/vet forum to Lee and the other moderators. I also think it would be a really good idea, so we'll see what happens.

Found this. Thought it was interesting. I am all about vets, and think it would be great to have a pre-vet forum.

Well, I guess nobody else cares about the poor vets. :( Oh well. :oops:

Put my vote in! And the vote of my dogs Pork Chop, Sammie, Max, and Husky! Oh and our half cat Steve! so that's 6 in all. My bird would have voted too, but he just died.:( I've thought about vet school and shadowed a vet for a week. although I love animals I'm very allergic to them and after dealing with vets w/my own dog, there is just something about it that keeps me away...Anyways, yah to the vets!:clap: