Pre-Veterinarian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Punchap

Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a first-year student at Case Western Reserve University. My dream is to become a vet. My question to you is: Do I need to complete the same courses as other pre-med. students in order to become a good candidate for OSU's vet program? I have checked their website and it did not go into detail concerning the required undergraduate courses needed for preparation.

I would appreciate any help you could offer on this subject. What classes would be most beneficial? What sort of volunteer experiences are out there for those wanting to work with animals? I am eager to begin on the right foot. Thanks.

Punchap

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there.
You're right, the OSU website isn't all that informative about what pre-reqs you should have, unless I'm missing something.

My recommendation to you would be to invest in the VMSAR (Vet Med School Admin Requirements), a $15 book that gives you requirements for all of the vet schools, as well as stats and info about the schools. Or you could just contact the school directly.

For most schools though, you will need most pre-med requirements and then some. In general, the following is required:
2 semesters general chem
2 semesters general bio
1 or 2 semesters organic chem (depending on the school)
1 or 2 semesters physics (depending on the school)
genetics
biochemistry

then your standard humanities classes

some schools also require anatomy, public speaking, and/or animal science classes. You do not need to major in bio or a natural science, as long as all the pre-reqs get completed, though many schools like to see upper level sciences beyond the minimum reqs.

As far as experience, look into volunteering (or even a paid job) at a local veterinarian or shelter. You will need hands on animal and veterinary experience for vet school. The more hours you have, the more competitive you will be. The best way to do find a place to work is to just call around to your local vets or shelters, or if your school has some internship program, you may want to look into this as well.

Hope this helps!

If you have questions regarding specific course requirements for a school, the best thing would be to schedule an appointment with an admissions counselor at OSU. Don't want to get to application time and find out you took the "wrong" organic course!:D Usually, yes, you will be taking the same pre-professional courses as everyone else--organic, biochem, physics, bio, etc. My advice would be to choose a MAJOR that you enjoy and will do well in (and that you could get a JOB in), and do the pre-reqs as a minor or elective. A lot of people do it this way.

THE most important thing is to have a high gpa on those pre-reqs and overall--so do something you enjoy. And definately plan on volunteering on weekends/summer--they want to see that you know what you're getting into! Plan on a DIVERSE volunteer veterinary experience--ride along with an equine vet, shelter work, volunteer at a therapeutic riding center, zoo education, etc. AND have fun at it--'cuz you won't be having any fun with those pre-reqs!

Thank you for your replies/advice. I appreciate them all. If you think of anything else that would be helpful, please pass it along. Thanks again.

Punchap