Preceptorships and gap years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Homo sapien

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello

I'm a PGY2 at a midwestern program that's dead. it's not officially dead but the program was discontinued from our current hospital and we residents were fed a load of buggery about go to this hospital, that hospital, merge here, etc. and a week ago we were finally told that the plan that we had been strung along with has fallen through. anyway the point is that the residency year begins in less than 2 weeks and we resiednts are ****ed residency wise. so some of us have begun to look for preceptorships and nursing homes and stuff like that. How would one go about looking for those types of positions

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
hello

I'm a PGY2 at a midwestern program that's dead. it's not officially dead but the program was discontinued from our current hospital and we residents were fed a load of buggery about go to this hospital, that hospital, merge here, etc. and a week ago we were finally told that the plan that we had been strung along with has fallen through. anyway the point is that the residency year begins in less than 2 weeks and we resiednts are ****ed residency wise. so some of us have begun to look for preceptorships and nursing homes and stuff like that. How would one go about looking for those types of positions

I mean we contacted CPME before and they didn't seem to give a ****, our directors barely communicate, and we're all hanging around by the seat of our pants and confused.

Maybe contact apma and your school’s dean? I’m lost for words

Members don't see this ad :)
Get a lawyer and start contacting the APMA. CPME was responsible for creating the program and their standards are poor if the residency program went south (yes I know I don't know the whole story). You will be forever screwed if you don't graduate from residency and get your RRA credential.

Get a lawyer. Contact CPME. Contact the APMA. Do everything possible to contact programs with open spots (even if its a bad one) to finish your training, graduate and move on with your career with whatever skills you have obtained.

Reactions: 1 users
The most powerful thing you can have is another program to go to. You need it for your career and your future. Your hospital and your PD may still battle to not let you go. It really truly happens - they don't give a crap about you. The hospital may fight to keep the money. Your director may fight to keep his clinic bitches, may refuse to sign off on your rotations, may refuse to sign off on your surgeries. CPME is a useless bunch of toothless bastards. They will not let you go without your programs approval. They should have done more - they never do - the 320 document basically states that they are supposed to be notified when there are major changes to the hospital, curriculum, faculty, volume etc. They should already have been doing something - and they probably didn't.

I hope the OP understands that he/she is getting an early dose of "podiatry reality". Everything is gravy when you are a student and resident. You are treated like you matter. Once you graduate residency everything is on you.

Some of your biggest barriers in your career will be because of other podiatrists.

Reactions: 1 user
I hope the OP understands that he/she is getting an early dose of "podiatry reality". Everything is gravy when you are a student and resident. You are treated like you matter. Once you graduate residency everything is on you.

Some of your biggest barriers in your career will be because of other podiatrists.
oh yes I definitely figured that out haha! and yes, we've all tried finding other programs to go to. Would it be ok if I PMd you to ask you something?

The most powerful thing you can have is another program to go to. You need it for your career and your future. Your hospital and your PD may still battle to not let you go. It really truly happens - they don't give a crap about you. The hospital may fight to keep the money. Your director may fight to keep his clinic bitches, may refuse to sign off on your rotations, may refuse to sign off on your surgeries. CPME is a useless bunch of toothless bastards. They will not let you go without your programs approval. They should have done more - they never do - the 320 document basically states that they are supposed to be notified when there are major changes to the hospital, curriculum, faculty, volume etc. They should already have been doing something - and they probably didn't.
thankfully all our rotations and cases have been signed already

I have a concern about preceptorships and residency as well. I'm not a resident yet. I didn't match in 2020. I have not yet started a preceptorship program however would like to do one and interview this January 2021. Is a preceptorship really required? Can't I just retake my boards and pass them and that be enough? Also, is it too late to start a preceptorship for this upcoming cycle? I don't really know how this stuff works since there's so much info floating around

My program has a couple paid preceptorship positions that lead to preferential consideration into our residency program. Hopefully you've all found placement at this point, but if anyone is interested you can direct message me. And to answer the previous question, I think many programs would frown upon you not doing anything podiatry related for a year.

thanks but we been found placements. our whole program moved to a different suburb without a program and we're thriving better than ever before

Reactions: 4 users