Preclinical remediation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dsg92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's not that bad. Your performance afterwards does not indicate that failing was a trend. You might be asked about it - have a constructive, succinct answer ready that shows you learned from the experience. You'll match just fine, likely at a solid university program. I don't think this will hurt your fellowship chances much if any at all either.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not that bad. Your performance afterwards does not indicate that failing was a trend. You might be asked about it - have a constructive, succinct answer ready that shows you learned from the experience. You'll match just fine, likely at a solid university program. I don't think this will hurt your fellowship chances much if any at all either.

Thank you makes me feel a little better. Just didn’t devote enough time to it but have improved on that sort of attitude and now approach all tasks with equal vigor.

I’m in love with cards and terrifies me that a small screw up (which only I’m to blame for) might mess me up.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are more than ok for a mid tier academic IM program assuming you can score 240+ in CK...

yea have month off for that right now. any other thoughts from anyone else? I have a minor pub from undergrad and a poster from med school but wish my research had panned out more prior to applying.

Would love to stay at home program

I really don't think anyone will care about a failed pre-clinical OSCE, especially since you haven't had any problems since then. Get strong LOR's and do well on CK and I agree that you should have a good shot at academic IM programs. I would think apply to mostly "mid-tier" programs, whatever that means, with some "high-tier" reaches and you should be set. Make sure to work w/ some kind of advisor in IM to make sure you have a good list. I don't know anything about your home institution/program so can't comment on that. Research is nice but I don't think it's a huge factor for IM, unless you're applying to top 10 places or something.

TL;DR: Don't stress about the OSCE thing. Get good letters and be smart w/ the application process and you should be able to land a solid academic IM spot where you could eventually match cards. Best of luck.

@Oso Just to follow up I failed the course. Yea I failed OSCE but ended up failing the course because of that and also because small group faculty felt I wasn't studious enough (which I guess they were right about). MSPE will simply read as "dsg92 succesfully remediated clinical skills II". Plan on saying I realized i need to devote more time to all aspects of studies and have had no problems there on out. Sorry for neuroticism. Any final thoughts? Will stop after this lol

Doesn't really change anything in my opinion. Have a 1-2 sentence thing to say about it if asked. Otherwise focus on upcoming stuff, not something from M1/M2 year that you can't do anything about now (easier said than done, I know). Things will work out.

I do not think you should even mention it in your PS... If they bring it up during interviews, then address it.

I am thinking of just stating on ERAS “I did not devote proper time and effort to making sure I was adequately prepared for this course since then have applied myself and have had no additional difficulties”.was going to leave it at that and not mention in PS

I am thinking of just stating on ERAS “I did not devote proper time and effort to making sure I was adequately prepared for this course since then have applied myself and have had no additional difficulties”.was going to leave it at that and not mention in PS[/QUO

Dude calm down. Don't. IMO bring it up only if they ask you about it, which they might not even do that.

There's no right answer about what to do. There are several options, on a spectrum:
1. Deny that it ever happened, blame someone else.
2. Ignore it but be ready to talk about it.
3. Mention it briefly in your application, although the only place to do this is your PS, or in the "was your education interrupted / extended" box (which probably doesn't apply to this issue)
4. Make it the focus of your PS, turn a weakness into a strength

#1 is a bad idea all around (but you'd be surprised)
#4 is overkill for something like this, might be a good option for a more serious stumble.
Choosing between #2 and #3 is a personal choice. I doubt that any program is going to "miss" it if you choose #2. And there's a reasonable chance it will come up in an interview, so even if they did miss it in an initial screen it will be found. ["What has been a challenge in medical school?" or "Tell me about a time where you didn't live up to your expectations and what you learned from it?" -- these questions might be asked to see specifically if you bring it up or not]

So, here's the way I would look at it: How much would you worry on the way to an interview either way?

My gut from reading your posts is that you tend to worry. In that case, I'd recommend option #3, that way you can worry less when you're going to your interview -- they know about it, and they want to interview you anyway. But I could have it all wrong, and #2 is reasonable also.

By the way, one other really important step -- DON'T FAIL CS! That would be bad.

There's no right answer about what to do. There are several options, on a spectrum:
1. Deny that it ever happened, blame someone else.
2. Ignore it but be ready to talk about it.
3. Mention it briefly in your application, although the only place to do this is your PS, or in the "was your education interrupted / extended" box (which probably doesn't apply to this issue)
4. Make it the focus of your PS, turn a weakness into a strength

#1 is a bad idea all around (but you'd be surprised)
#4 is overkill for something like this, might be a good option for a more serious stumble.
Choosing between #2 and #3 is a personal choice. I doubt that any program is going to "miss" it if you choose #2. And there's a reasonable chance it will come up in an interview, so even if they did miss it in an initial screen it will be found. ["What has been a challenge in medical school?" or "Tell me about a time where you didn't live up to your expectations and what you learned from it?" -- these questions might be asked to see specifically if you bring it up or not]

So, here's the way I would look at it: How much would you worry on the way to an interview either way?

My gut from reading your posts is that you tend to worry. In that case, I'd recommend option #3, that way you can worry less when you're going to your interview -- they know about it, and they want to interview you anyway. But I could have it all wrong, and #2 is reasonable also.

By the way, one other really important step -- DON'T FAIL CS! That would be bad.

I could swear I read one of your posts from some time ago that AMGs failing CS is not considered a big deal??

@aProgDirector Last question. I understand the importance of CS. I am taking it in August. It will be available in time for ranking. Is that arlight? I appreciate your continued help, and this is my last question. You're right I do worry.

December 31st is the last date to take CS for it to be available for ranking deadline.... A couple of people in my class matched without CS... One of them is taking it today. However, I would advise everyone to take CS early so programs can have it for ranking. I had 3 programs that asked me for it before ROL deadline.

I think taking it in August is perfectly fine. Very few (if any) programs will not invite you if you don't have a score when you submit your application. Some may require it by ranking, but not all.

And it's no bother!

I expect that, assuming all else goes well, you shouldn't have much trouble getting interviews and matching. The key is to demonstrate that this is in the past. A good performance on your clerkships should do that.