Preclinical years preparation for American psychiatry residency as an IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Miguel_Montenegro

Reaction score
Hello everybody, thanks for checking out my post

I am currently almost halfway through my second year in a 6-year medical program in a top university in Latin America, I am very decided to get into an American psychiatry residency, I would not be too picky as far as where. Although I am aware that there is still a long time before I'll even have to apply, I want to better my resumé, especially with plenty of time in anticipation, as I am aware that IMGs have a harder time getting into any residency. I am currently part of my school's psychiatry interest group, and I also belong to several research groups (One of them being the mental health one), and I am finishing off my first article (I will also participate in the writing of a book about abortion). I am top of my class, and I make a point of always participating and helping my classmates. What else could I do during these early years? What type of research could most help me with? Are interpersonal-skills classes a useful tool? What type of volunteering in the US is the most useful during these years?

P.S: I have no problems when it comes to my English, in fact I took the IELTS last year and my mark was a C2

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly it sounds like you are in good shape in terms of demonstrating interest in the field. Just pass step 1 and do well on 2CK and hopefully that will help you stand out amongst international applicants. Good luck!