Predatory Journals and Other Illegitimate Sources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ditritium monoxide

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do med schools care about whether you publish in a predatory journal or some sort of shady source? I've gotten word of an acquaintance of mine who, one year ago, was able to publish clinical research in a newspaper in his original home country (China). This, I believe helped him get into an early acceptance program at a school up north.

This person didn't use a predatory journal in particular I believe, but it seems that such a source would be yet another "easy" source of publication. In an actual application cycle, would this be seen in the same light as a publication, or even conference/poster presentation, in a scientific journal or conference, or would they see this less favorably?

Members don't see this ad.

I think folks who care about whether or not you had any pubs definitely would care about the impact-level of your journal, although I doubt they would hold it against someone if they were published in a less well-known journal. Mainly the folks that would know about this sort of stuff would be Ph.D.s.